Can anyone id this Mess Dress Jacket (Please)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BuggerAll, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A chum of mine asked me if I can id this Mess Dress jacket. I can't so I'll shake my head in the tree of knowledge that is ARRSE.

There are no buttons or badges and it does not look as if there ever where.

[​IMG]

2. Looks American...

Could be West Point or one of the military colleges...

3. It has an RGJ /Gurkha flair to it, think the last saw something like this in the 80s and the guy wearing it was in 10GR, mind you I was pissed at the time!

4. BuggerAll

Its dark green/black and very British in tailoring style. I'll ask my man if there are any tailor's labels in it.

5. BuggerAll

Quite - that was my thinking - but I can't be quite sure. There was a Ghurka Regt that did not wear badges - just some braid for filed officers - but I was p1ssed too.

6. Looks like Officers Mess Dress of the Rifles.

Could be wrong like!

Cheers N_W

7. Hi
    Definitely Royal Green Jackets Officers Mess Dress.
    Cheers

8. It's not Rifles. Only the Officers Mess jacket has the black Russia braid but it also has scarlet cuffs and collar. As Paul said, it's probably Royal Green Jackets.

However the red collar and cuffs were features of the King's Royal Rifle Corps full dress so is it possible these elements were carried over to Royal Green Jackets and then to the Rifles?

9. 10GR Winter/Temperate officers mess dress. Black Velvety stuff at collars and cuffs, closed at neck.
    IIRC RGJ Messkit had an open collar and was worn with a bow tie

Edited to add:
    Pre Amalgamation 2GR and 10GR didn't have rank or badges on mess dress. A british officers mess had only 20-22 officers in and was normally rankless bar the colonel.

10. Rifle Brigade - the 95th - poor old Sharpe must be turning in his grave