Can anyone id please

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hi all, a friend found these and asked if I could get anyone to ID and value them. There are no names on them.

Any help appreciated

Regards S_D
Nobody wants to say anything due to the outbreak of wah fear.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Africa Star, 39-45 Star, War and Defence Medals. The Africa Star is probably 1st Army, judging by the clasp - no doubt one of the experts around here can elucidate.

dlrg

LE
Africa Star, 39-45 Star, War and Defence Medals. The Africa Star is probably 1st Army, judging by the clasp - no doubt one of the experts around here can elucidate.
@Spanish_Dave

1. Africa Star with 'North Africa 1942-43' Clasp - Indicating Royal Navy Inshore Squadron service or Merchant Navy vesels which worked inshore between those dates. - £40

2. 1939-45 Star - £10 to £15

3. War Medal 1939-45 - £10 to £15

4. Defence Medal - £15 to £20.

Prices quoted are from the 'Medal Yearbook 2020 edition

Last edited:
@Spanish_Dave

1. Africa Star with 'North Africa 1942-43' Clasp - Indicating Royal Navy Inshore Squadron service or Merchant Navy vesels which worked inshore between those dates. - £40

1 minor AL there, chap: clasp 'NORTH AFRICA 1942-43' could also signify RAF issue.

If I'm not mistaken, 1st Army and 8th Army had numerals 1 or 8 - certainly available for just the ribbon - the N. Africa Bar was for personnel not in either formation during the qualifying period, RN, Army or RAF.
No medals were engraved as issued.
I think it was WH Smith's who sponsored a £1 engraving offer for those who applied for and claimed their gongs.

Thank you very much, I will pass that on.
Having just had a closer look at the ribbons, I would suspect that the group is to RAF. If they are the original ribbons, then they are most certainly RAF as the ends are 'pinked': that is, cut from the master ribbon roll with a type of tailor's pinking scissors giving a serrated edging effect.

That particular style is seldom seen on original Army/RN/MN ribbons.

If I'm not mistaken, 1st Army and 8th Army had numerals 1 or 8 - certainly available for just the ribbon - the N. Africa Bar was for personnel not in either formation during the qualifying period, RN, Army or RAF.
No medals were engraved as issued.
I think it was WH Smith's who sponsored a £1 engraving offer for those who applied for and claimed their gongs.
Named British issued WWII medals are invariably the result of a visit to Boots. Not so sure that WH Smith offered the same service-happy to be proved wrong, though.

dlrg

LE
Having just had a closer look at the ribbons, I would suspect that the group is to RAF. If they are the original ribbons, then they are most certainly RAF as the ends are 'pinked': that is, cut from the master ribbon roll with a type of tailor's pinking scissors giving a serrated edging effect.

Named British issued WWII medals are invariably the result of a visit to Boots. Not so sure that WH Smith offered the same service-happy to be proved wrong, though.
Spot on..!

Benjamin1876

Old-Salt
Spot on..!
I suppose I could be wrong about this, but I have the medals of my father from WW2 and they include the Africa Star, he was RN, and the medal ribbon on the Africa Star should have the dark blue stripe on the left, as it signifies Navy and the light blue vertical stripe signifies Air force, so they have put the ribbon on the medal the wrong way round, at least, that is what I always believed. My father in law, who was 2/17th Bn Aust Army, at Tobruk, has the ribbon the same way with the dark blue vertical stripe on the left and light blue on the right, a medals collector would probably confirm this

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Not blowing smoke up your arse, but it's that sort of gen from the site gong twitchers that fascinates me.

Dark blue to the left - same as the 39-45 star.

It was Boots the Chemists scheme - type in haste etc.

romeolima

Swinger
I suppose I could be wrong about this, but I have the medals of my father from WW2 and they include the Africa Star, he was RN, and the medal ribbon on the Africa Star should have the dark blue stripe on the left, as it signifies Navy and the light blue vertical stripe signifies Air force, so they have put the ribbon on the medal the wrong way round, at least, that is what I always believed. My father in law, who was 2/17th Bn Aust Army, at Tobruk, has the ribbon the same way with the dark blue vertical stripe on the left and light blue on the right, a medals collector would probably confirm this
You are correct the Africa Star ribband is the wrong way round, dark blue signifying the Navy and therefore the senior service should be towards the centre of the chest. Quite common to see this on WW2 medals in particular as medals were sent out for "self assembly" by which time many people were no longer in service and so were mounted up at home. 39-45 Star and Pacific Star have the same issue.

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
@Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave, was your friend looking for insurance value or resale value? If the former, the MYB valuations seem about right; if the latter I would take the lower valuations for the 39-45 Star and 39-45 War Medal, and suggest about £10 for the Defence Medal and about £30 for the Africa Star and clasp. This is based on what I recently paid to recreate my grandfather's medal entitlement.

They're nor exactly going to fund retirement in the Maldives, but they should manage a few beers and a paella for two. I can see the WW2 stars getting quite pricey in a few years, when/if the records are released.

They're nor exactly going to fund retirement in the Maldives, but they should manage a few beers and a paella for two. I can see the WW2 stars getting quite pricey in a few years, when/if the records are released.
My bold.

You're gonna have to wait a few years yet, chap.

Government have said for some years that the 116 year rule will apply to the public release of WWII Service records:

This policy follows the current longest lived age of a UK citizen. Potentially, then, a RN Boy or MN Apprentice who was enlisted/signed on at least 28 days before 2 Sep 1945(28 days being the minimum qualifying period for the War Medal) means that such records won't be released until about 2045.

I'm not sure why, given the WW1 records have been available for some time - even when some of the old boys were still alive.

Latest Threads