Can anyone help

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by ark-angel, Sep 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need help with these if anyone knows what they are would be usefull.
    ie: who they represent.

2. Bottom left is a B Trade badge
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I think the lower left one is a British Army 'B Class Trade' badge from about the 1930s and into the 1960s.

Edited to add : Bugger beaten to it by Joker.
  4. Top one is the Alaaf Klub der Rheinländer Berlin, gegr.1875

Now closed it seems but from the Alaaf bit I would say something to do with the Carnival season in Germany.

So probably taken over by this lot

Startseite - Carneval Club Berlin e.V.
  5. And well into the 80s by the ACC :muhaha:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I agree. Carnival club, a Berlin bear in party rig, but Rhinelander members. Alaarf is Cologne dialect, meaning all up or all out, as in bottoms up, empty your glass. German saturnalia.

Haven't got a clue about bottom right, a tower above a river, maybe an eagle on top? Single-headed above a wreath? Is there a swastika?
  7. As regards the ALAAF thing, using Wiki ( Google Translate ) and battling through the Google translation, I get the impression is that the badge is for the Rheinland district of a "Guild of Jesters"*, for whom the recognition call is "Alaaf" - much in the same way as the Home Guard would call "Hi-de-hi" and respond "Ho-di-ho" (well in advance of the TV holiday camp comedy).

*That's my take on the translation, it could be "Company of Fools" or any similar phrase.

During a school exchange visit in 1973, the local town, Altshausen, had its carnival parade. One souvenir I still have of it is a plastic cameo of a jester, this character being the focal point of the parade and presumably a member of the Guild of Jesters.
  8. Bit more on the jester theme:

The Plätzler Guild at Carnival

...and just remembered what the wording was around the plastic cameo - narrenzunft - Fools' Guild.

...and still going strong, it seems: Narrenzunft Altshausen - OHAAAA

Presumably "Oha!" is their equivalent of "Alaaf!"
  9. Brotherton Lad

It would be a carnival club for Rheinlanders who were living and working in Berlin between the wars. (cf. London Irish or London Scottish.)

Dug this up:

BBC - h2g2 - Carnival in Germany - A517655

More searching also says that 'Koelle alaaf' means Cologne ueber alles.

Berlin bear with the badge of Cologne:

10. At risk of being accused of stating the bleeding obvious, the lower right hand side one looks like a WW2 TRF that was worn near the top of the sleeves of the old Battle Dress jacket.

As to what it represents, I'm buggered if I know.
  11. Brotherton Lad

Except the symbology doesn't look British, assuming it's a single-headed eagle on top.

12. We did have quite a few 'Foreign Legions' serving in British uniform during WW2.

It's the red over blue thing, I have seen it before in several combinations.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The bottom right badge have what appears to be a J or reversed C on the tower. Does that throw anything into the equation. Its not a mark on the badge it is part of the embroidery.

Doing a little myself but the red over blue could be Queens Dragoons.

This is from my father in laws garage. And the help in trying to pin this stuff down is appreciated.
  14. Is it from the Free Polish forces?
  15. Jewish Brigade Artillery maybe?

Probably not, I would expect a star of David in there.