can anyone help me??

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by smithyb, Apr 11, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im currently in the infantary and in the process in getting transfer in to the army air corps. The problem is, is that I dont konw what to do and what regiment to be placed. Im looking at ground crew or even air crew. can anyone suggest any places (ie, websites etc.) where I can find infomation in order to help me find what I can do? THX ??? ???

2. With your spelling and grammar...go straight for AH pilot!

If you are para badged, can dig in to stage 4 in 15 mins and can do section attacks 24/7...look at being a Groundhandling / Refuelling Instructor at SAAvn.

If you are not sure, where you want to be placed, dont know what to do,  go straight to AAC MCM. You will fit in with minimal training.

Did you log on after a lunchtime session?..suggest you sober up and re-think :p

3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Reality Check.

Please keep the unhelpful quips for the NAAFI.

The guy asked for some serious advice on the Corps, lets not shame ourselves by giving bone replies like that.

Swindle him into joining, Lie like hell, then someone else can do your Christmas day duty ;D

4. JOINING THE AAC IS THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE THINKING OF. THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE TALK ABOUT BEING A PILOT WITHIN 2 YEARS AND YOU WILL END UP REFUELLING HELICOPTERS AT A HOLE LIKE WATTISHAM OR DISHFORTH. ASK ONE OF THE MANY DISGRUNTLED AIRTROOPERS WHO HAVE BEEN FED THE SAME LINES. THEY ARE LEAVING IN THEIR DROVES. STAY WHERE YOU ARE, THE PROMOTIONS AND POSTINGS ARE BETTER BY FAR.

5. JP....stop hiding behind the "I was told I'd be a pilot in 2 years farce"

I dont believe anybody told you or anyone else that!!!!

Also, just because you dont like refuelling and clearly have little drive or determination to better yourself, doesnt mean that everyone in the Corps feels the same as you.

Grow up and take control of your life...get on some useful courses, look into other jobs in the corps and start kicking at the heels of those people who are getting promoted.

Finally dont assume that because you havent been promoted in the AAC you would have anywhere else!

I apologise for the rant...but Im fed up with you people complaining and drivelling on.

6. Don't apologise Muttley you are quite within your rights to go off about this.

You are in charge of your own destiny, granted occasionally there is a little look involved, but ultimately you have got to take the bull by the horns and decide where you want to be by when.

The Army was and Im sure still is rife with opportunity, more so than any employer in civvy street, in all honesty the only limitation was financial.

Saying that a SSGT Third tour pilot is now raking in around £35k + per year.

Stop whining crack on and control your own future, if not get ouit and be a binman or a lavatory attendant

7. Smithy - as a man who filled in those transfer papers myself i strongly advise you - DONT DO IT!!!!! At least in the infantry you are part of a genuine teeth arm - something the AAC pretends to be but falls far short of the mark. If you genuinely want to - and are capable of - bettering yourself, then look towards a trade with the REME or RE, something that can be usefull later on back in civvy street. As far as pilot goes - if you have what it takes to be a stinking aviator then get up to Corporal in you current regt and then go for the course - dont transfer first unless you fancy being a (slightly) glorified fuel pump attendant for years as they will screw you.

I know whereof i speak, my friend

8. Another bitter and twisted man that never took control of his life and let people trample on him.

Makes my piss boil, I imagine one of the best paid and most rewarding roles in the army is that of a pilot. Don't be quick to knock it, makes you sound like a loser who never bothered to do aircrew selection or failed and are bitter and twisted.

9. I am in full control of my life and future thanks, and the bills are getting paid nicely without having to risk my neck in a westland shed every day.

If you read my post a bit closer i wasnt knocking the aircrew trade (well not much, anyway!), merely pointing out that unless your man smithy does qualify as a pilot then hes probably better off in the infantry than the AAC. Somewhere else he can get a trade, get some quals then go flying if he wants to when he hits corporal.

I agree with you, aircrew are on a lot of cash, and flying can be a very rewarding job.

Im just quite happy i dont do it.

By the way, bitter and twisted just comes with the territory in squawkville

10. Whinging was always the favourite past time in the crew room, closely followed by uckers and winding up the nigs. ;D

I know that groundcrew duties are a tad dull and boring, nothing saying you have to stay in that dept.

Sigs, was by far the best move I ever made. I was guilty of allowing myslef to get drawn into the UK army, nob off home at weekends etc etc, Leaving Germany when the wall came down was the worse thing to happen. I think back to my bays in BAOR as some of the happiest and fun times of my life.

Times changed, so did I, it was time to move on and now only mis the banter, I can get that on here

11. Leaving Germany was one of the downsides of my career as well - especially when i got my first UK payslip and wondered where the other half was. I sometimes take a nostalgic look back and think the grass was actually greener before i hopped over the fence!

At least nowadays i can knock off with a semi smile on my face having found a trade i can push myself in - the entire reason i transfered in the first place.

My big advice to smithy is to go for pilot as a corporal in his current regt, then transfer. If life sucks that bad wearing his current cap badge and he wants to transfer NOW NOW NOW!, any other technical trade should restore his faith and keep him in green, it certainly did for me. He can still go for aircrew after transfer, providing he doesnt hit the ever changing age limit!!

12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

You see, we can be grown up when we want to be :D

13. I can't.

14. I bet that was all helpfull to SMITHYB.....im still confused..

I like it, I dont, I like it, I don't, repeat as often as your alive.....

[​IMG]