Can anyone help me with my training for selection?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by JoeProsser94, Aug 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently awaiting selection and what not, does anyone have any ideas of how I could get my 1.5 mile time down, and could anyone tell me what the track you run on at selection is like?

Is it all flat, or some uphill?

Thank you.
  2. Generally flat but depends on where you are as to the specifics - Some are tarmac, some dirt - all should be solid ground.

Work on your overall fitness first and when you can run the 1.5 (although I would aim for close to two as there is also your warm-up period to think about) then you can think about speed.

Speed work comes in many fors and is covered in just about every runners magazine or website - google is your friends.

If you don't mind having a few funny look from security guards, I would suggest heading down to WHSmiths or similar as right now either Runner's World/Magazine have a running sort of how to compendium out. You cant miss it, its in the magazine section, a little smaller than the normal mags and about half and inch thick. Oh and its bright red. Cost £9.99 though if you want to buy it.

I saw it at an airport the other week and picked it up. Very good and covers literally every type of running and is aimed at every one with all needs. Well worth your time. Best of luck.
  3. One effective method of improving individual performance over a set distance is to run intervals of that target. First you need to establish your target time; eg 10 mins for 1.5 miles. Next divide the distance into a manageable chunk, eg, by half. Go out and run your amended distance at target pace (ie, half distance (0.75 miles) in 5 mins). If you fail, reduce the distance until you can manage it. Assuming you succeed, next you should increase the distance steadily over time; eg, (week 2) to 1 mile in 6m40s, (week 3) 1.25 mile in 8m20s etc. Keep going until you manage your target performance, then start reducing the time or increasing distance to taste/improve further. Welcome to the world of progressive intervals.
  4. Thanks, both have been very helpful, thank you indeed.

I enjoy the second report mostly, I'll definatly do that, thank you my friend.

I wont go up that fast I doubt as I do circuit training within my running aswell, so that's a good idea man. Thank you again haha.

Oh one question though, if I can run the 0.75 miles in 5 mins, what do I do then? Just repeat it?
  5. Excellent question, the answer to which highlights the guiding principle behind success with progressive intervals (something I conveniently neglected to cover in my post). This is where you must act as your own coach and gauge for yourself the appropriate rate at which you amend your session plans based on your level of fitness and, as importantly, experience of fitness training. Assuming that you are somewhat of a novice, I would suggest that you have patience and, once you've established your current standard (ie, the distance you can manage without utterly destroying yourself), you raise the standard slowly and in increments.

Write out a plan and try to stick to it. Be realistic and include rest periods and trials of proposed amendments to your targets. Take it tentitively; run each session at a pace where you feel that you could push yourself a little harder if you needed to (you should not be running eyeballs out). Remember that running 1.5 miles is mainly aerobic, you need to run at a pace that can be sustained. Only increase the distance when you feel ready.

Do not be afraid to amend your target both up and down. Done right, progressive intervals are guaranteed to improve performance. However, if you find yourself getting slower, you are almost certainly overtraining and need to rest and reassess your fuel intake and hydration.
  6. If you want to get better at running (which will more then often be the case) go running. Your gait changes with your speed so practice running at high speed and practice slow, longer runs. this will help you establish what feels the best as you become more experienced. I would suggest some form of heavy lower body resistance training. (low reps) this is great for learning grit and developing force.

In short...
    1 - Run fast, short distances.
    2 - go for long slogs.
    3 - heavy squats.
  7. Thank you man, that's good shit.

I made a plan now anyway.
    Using your help.

Day one:
    Run long distance at a hard-ish pace for about 15 minutes (Increasing by how I feel every week try go for one extra minute)

Day two:
    Circuit training
    Pullups x 6-8
    Jumping Jacks x 10-15
    Pushups x 15-20
    Lunges x 12-15
    Tricep Dips x 15-20
    Situps x 25-50
    Sprints between each circuit up and down my stairs 4 times. (Ghetto)

Day 3:
    Interval training, as you said about. I'm looking at it realistically and trying the 1.5 in 12 mins to start. This week I've done a third of the distance with a third of the time.

Day 4:
    40 minute walk up hill or a 20 minute jog, for general fitness reasons.

Thank you man for helping out once again, check through this routine, and see what I should change and that.
  8. Good to see someone actually powerlifts here.
    I used to, I used to bodybuild too, not competitivly but as a hobby.

Thanks for the advice bro, I don't heavy squat anymore though.

What's your stats?
  9. Err you could stop posting on here and go running.

Theres got to be some big hills round your way. Run up them and keep running up them it worked well for me, sprint up them. And do some 3- 5 mile runs.
  10. SQ BP DL
    All time PBs - 210/142.5/245
    Competition PBs - 185/110/210

You can see its been a while since I last competed.