Can any one assist

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by drilller, Jun 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right currently I am looking for a book that is of a really good quality.

At the moment I'm reading "Bird Song". It's a cracking read I would recommend it and also say that the author pictates the war better than Wilfred Owen, but in more words.

It is critical that it is not a shyt book as I have to write an essay on it for school. (Higher/A-level english; don't you love it :lol: :lol:)

All suggestions will be gratefully excepted.
  2. Death traps - the survival of an armored division in wwII by Belton Y. Cooper

Just finished it this is one of the finest wwII memoirs i have ever read.
  3. 18 Platoon by Sidney Jary - Story of an LI Platoon in WWII
  4. If its Science Fiction you like the finest exponent of this art is Iain M Banks in his finest work 'Against a Dark Background'.

It is simply superb.
  5. RTFQ

If you haven't read Catch 22 do it quick before you become stupid.
    Haruki Murakami - Norweigan Wood - in fact any of his, they rock.
    David Mitchell - Ghost written or number 9 dream (his 3rd is supposed to be good too, it's discussed on here somewhere)
    New York Trilogy - Paul Auster, pretty tough one/three to analyse though
    Be controversal: The Bride Stripped Bare - Anonymous. Hailed as the great female novel, pile of nonsense if you ask me but a good one to review and it does go some way to describe why some women seem to have a head full of spanners.
  6. I would have to suggest the Originals by Gordon Stevens. It is an incredible series of interviews with David sterling (he of SAS fame) and the other surviving original members of the worlds best special forces unit. Sterling was no ordinary man, and his unorthodox style and approach to life, the Army and the war jumps from every page, I really could not put this book down.
    I have found some info on the story behind the book at the following link

Turvey Not pervey
  7. Thanks guys i've, also been thinking about that one written by Tim Colins, rules of engagement I think.

Can anyone coment on a good point for me to coment on if i stick with "bird song" The only real one that i can think of is the imazing contrast between the love and the war and also the ending, that shows the love between the german soldiers and the one last remaining BEF soldier.

I finished it today and I'm thinking that it was a reeeeeeeeeally bad idea.

Did any one else have this problem if so what did you do?
  8. These are my nominations for fiction:

The Sword of Honour Trilogy by Auberon Waugh.

Hard work, but rewarding.

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.

Ditto, but slightly harder.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is, as RTFQ says, almost mandatory for any reasonably sentient human being.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is one of the cleverest, funniest and most original books I've read in years.

Green River Rising by Tim Willocks.

Ballsy attempt to combine a muscular story of imprisonment and savagery with an almost elemental description of violence, masculinity and social breakdown. Good read which would lend itself to the sort of project you describe.

Day over Night over Day by Paul Watkins.

Short, literary novel that charts the brutal progress of a young Waffen-SS recruit from basic training to the Ardennes Offensive. Quite brilliant.

9. A Town Like Alice....... Nevil Shute.

Bit girly, but a really good read and very easy to write about, dissect and present good arguments.

It also has the added bonus of having several rather good study guides in print to help you out.

10. Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Best book I ever read. Keep buying it then lending it to others cos its so good and then never get it back...
  11. Sci-Fi - Time enough for Love - Robert A Heinlein (think thats how to spell his name)

History - The Physician - Noah Gordon

Military autobiographies- either Ranulph Fiennes or Peter de la Billiere

As for Birdsong, you could consider the friendship between an officer and his men, the respect for ones enemy or the sex scene in the Red room (or even the shag-mongous potential of the daughter at the river :twisted: )
  12. Does any one remeber a vietnam war film called "How Sleep the Brave"? In one scene a brave tough Yank shoots the hands off a Vietnamese guy in an attempt to get info on VC activities.

Any idea where to get a copy?

13. This is a top tale:

Amedeo: The true story of an Italians War in Abyssinia.

This man was a true hero. Joined the Italian Army in order to live a life of champagne and horseriding. He volunteered for war in Spain and Abyssinia when there was no need to. Led the last cavalry charge against British troops. Most decorated Italian soldier of WW2. escaped from Afria by disguising himself as a slave and when to Aden. Before leaving Africa he led a force of native cavalry against the Allies causing disruption and chaos.

Additional drama in that his childhood sweetheart was waiting for him in Italy and he also fell in love with a native woman who fought by his side. He returned to Italy and married the woman he had loved all his life. Later he became Italian Ambassador to India.

I read it in two days on holiday in Spain.
  14. If you seek high literary quality plus realistic detail, Henry Williamson is one of the finest British prose writers on war I know. He wrote a series of novels about WWI (A Fox Under My Cloak, Love and the Loveless, A Test to Destruction etc) based on his experiences in the trenches at Ypres, the Somme and other awful places.
  15. A great book to read is "the stars tennis balls" by Stephen Fry.

Its a fantastic book which still has a lot to be said for it.

I used it during my studying days and it provides a great source of questions, waiting to be answered.