Can any of the clever ones help?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by FrankIG, Jan 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Photographs are of a medal that a relative has come across in Poland. Can anyone help with any info at all about what it might be. Fairly light metal. and appears able to be worn either round the neck on a ribbon, or pinned on, presumably on the chest

Attached Files:

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

What sort of age do you think it is? Modern or pre-Soviet?

Looks like a Maltese Cross, Fleur de Lys and Lions Rampant. Catholic, Crusader knights, Teutonic knights?
  3. Which part of Poland? Might be some sort of Prussian order.
  4. Rather think that is Belgium.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Royalist French judging by the Royal Coat of Arms of the three Fleur de Lys. The Lion rampant on a black background looks like the coat of arms of Flanders.
  6. Anything on the back?
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

subtle differences like the inner 'star' only having 7 points not 8 but what about an old russian order, the tsar was something to do with malta and napoleon did his best to cause friction over us taking it over twice then not giving it back after the second time.

just a thought but have you compared it to Jimbos vast medal collection? if he hasn't got it then you might have a buyer
  8. Louise XV's queen Marie was Polish and her father Stanislaus was installed as Duke of Lorraine. When he died the dukedom reverted to the French crown. I'd guess the fleur de lys and royal lions refer to that. Try regiemental badges.
  9. And Gluteus Maximus explains the Lions (thanks) , on what looks like a plaque. Something about this thing with its grand cross suggests an "Order", as in the Legion of Honor. Be good to see someone crack this, and good luck OP.
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the centre is apparently the st george cross but the order of st george also has the outer maltese style version as well

Worcestershire Regiment (29th/36th of Foot)

the order of st micheal and st george brings up the closest matches as there are versions with fleur de lys on them
  11. Thanks for the info so far ... must admit I thought of the Polish-Lorraine link .... but also considered the lions to look either like Belgian (Flanders) ones or even Dutch. House of Orange uses a similar and the motto Je Maintiendrai if my memory hasn't completely gone to rat sh!t

I got the impression it's an 'Order' of some sort as it's quite a large cross, even though I forgot to put a scale in the photos with it (d'oh). From memory its about 3 - 3 1/2 inches across, but will get relly to check that. Damn that's another phone call to Warsaw!

Anyone got a way to contact Jimbo? He certainly seems to be the oracle.
  12. Really not sure BL ... I wouldn't think it's 'new' unless it's just something that someone has knocked up to look pretty
  13. Family are all from the Mazowsze patch ...... in and around Warsaw .... which tended to be Russian controlled rather than Prussian. Pre WW1 that is lol .... though the Partitions from 1795 onwards did flip flop around a bit. No szlachta in the ancestry unfortunately.
  14. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Is it hallmarked ? does it have makers marks on the rear? gilt silver etc.
    Send an image to Spinks the Auctioneers they are very helpful.