Can an Outlook message be made to vanish?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jul 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sounds like a tinhat alert, but I'm pretty certain that a fairly pivotal email I sent my boss has been made to vanish from my work email system.

Its not in deleted items, and is pretty critical wrt a dismissal matter.

The cynic in me wonders if my boss could have made it vanish, making his case look stronger? I feel certain I even saw the read receipt...

TIA, techy nerds.

2. In a nutshell yes you can. it is something to do with a selection tick box in the server rules that can be set to delete the message once it has been read/opened. Not that up on outlook but im pretty sure thats how its done. Hope it helps.
  3. Have a word with your IT bods. I would expect there to be a server back up of mail sent/received, just in case of a system crash/powere failure etc. This way the company wouldn't lose too much data.

It will help if you have a DTG for the said email.

Good luck.
  4. The short answer is yes it can disappear especially if you use a central exchange server and roaming profiles. Any of your IT guys with admin rights can 'clean' it off both the server and your profile. Recce is right though try and get a restore of your mail box. It will be nearly impossible to 'clean' a single email from backup tapes.
  5. And then there is the 'Delete all Deleted E-Mails' button... which deletes the deleted items quicker than letting them be wiped out automatically & very slowly!
  6. Its one particular email that has vanished. It gave confirmation to my boss of hefty orders en route.

As I was under the cosh ( mag to grid style ) and I knew he was having a meeting with *his* boss at which my order book would be scrutinised, I sent him emailed confirmation of the orders. At a rather grim meeting today, the boss's boss said that he had not seen this email, so my spidey sense kicked in...

Given that this email would REALLY have helped my cause and it has vanished...
  7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Could you ask the sender to resend or confirm why it was deleted, perhaps cc'ing your boss on the request email. With Exchange, a user can also withdraw a message
  8. I was the sender. Having a copy of the email might help me keep my job; it having vanished makes me very suspicious.
  9. As Recce19:
    can't imagine anyone setting up a company network without the freebie backup systems that come with them. I've had similar, lost everything, then a panic call to the IT bods who said they automatically run a 'snapshot' of the entire system every 0200 hrs. Easiest for them to restore everything to your account as at 0200 whatever day, than hunt a single email.
    Last time it was 8 months of work vanished at 0800, took them 30 minutes to put it all back again to how it was at 0200. I wasn't at work between those hours anyway, so nothing lost.
  10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Sorry mate, must have misread your initial post.
  11. hey no worries.
    Thanks for the comments so far.
  12. msr

msr LE

Is it in the sent box?

And if it is this critical you must have a paper copy?

13. Is it in your sent items box?

too fast msr
  14. Not in sent box, nor deleted, and the read receipt has vanished...

And yes, I am pretty sure I sent it!

I did not take a paper copy as I would not have suspected this potentially underhand bahaviour.
  15. its not still in draft items box?