Can a TA Infanteer do an armourers course?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by EX_STAB, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Basically just as the question says. I would not want to rebadge to REME and would want to retain an ordinary role in my unit as well as any armourer duties that may come up.
  2. I wouldn't have thought so as it is a REME trade and a sought after one at that.
    There'd surely be a 'conflict of interests' as well e.g. on range periods?

    At my parent Sqn its gone the other way, our armourer (inc 30mm) is no longer a Sqn post within the LAD so transffered to become SQMS and the sqn/regt lost a great asset.
  3. I looked into this to try and get one of my lance jacks on the course so we'd have someone to fix our guns on the ground. Got fcuked right off.
  4. Cos thats just way too practical and sensible,
    I assume the scaling is 1 per Coy?
  5. I think you'd have to transfer REME to do your Armourer cse.

    Do you want to do TA Armourer or Reg? If you fancy doing Armourer and Infantry stuff - have you thought about joining the Marines? Their Armourers do both.

    As a REME Armourer you will get the opportunity to do quite a bit of your host units job, there will, in most units, be a good chance to not just join in but have other roles within the unit. (Even more so on Ops.)

    REME is now; Soldier first - Tradesman always. (Or something along those lines.)

    You could always speak with your Unit Armourer and ask for a bit of 'Work Experience' to see what the ins and out are. (Don't forget - Take biscuits and porn!)
  6. and practice the song....
  7. You will have to rebadge to do the course.
  8. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Currently there is just one TA REME class 3 armourers course a year with 4 places, it starts tomorrow actually. Obviously it is pretty hard to get on due to numbers and it is reserved specifically for REME as it has a few 'start standards' i.e. in order to start the course you must already have completed certain REME tasks at your parent unit which must be signed off by a REME PSI.

    So unless you fancy transferring to REME, the answer is no I'm afraid.
  9. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Get oldcolt's SPSI on the case.

    He managed to organise TAAACC, a commission and FAC training for him before he had even finished CIC. Are you sure you don't want to get on the submarine captain's course from your TA Pte soldier's PID while you are at it?
  10. Pob02

    Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

  11. yawn.....
  12. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    I do that frequently, usually when reading posts from rejoiners desperately trying to work the system to their own advantage rather than accepting their real position as a TA recruit/tom/soon to be storeman.

    Get moving, those blankets won't count themselves you know.
  13. We've got a storeman, he's back from Afghanistan now so they don't need me to do that.

    Thanks to everyone who provided sensible answers.
  14. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Well done him. Make sure he gives you a decent handover.