Can A Relationship Work And Be Healthy In The Military?

Join up and see where the relationship ends up. The odds are against it lasting but you may be the exception to the rule.

Sounds like she is doing her thing at Uni so why are you considering giving up your dream, career, future?
I think that's the plan. Just see where it goes. I mean obviously we'll have to talk about it but I don't think she'll have an issue with it, I think she'd be quite happy to give it a shot and see what happens as opposed to not trying at all.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
........just to add. I went out the Saturday night before I joined the Army at 16 on the Monday.

Met a beautiful little thing at the club and started dating. It lasted about 3 and a half years until I got bored. (Thats young men for ya!) We are both happily married now and I meet her regularly for a coffee or a meal. You just never know where life will lead you.........its worth a try but just know it's likely to not.

Ohh and she is still a sort!! ;-]
Joined the Army on the Monday, left on the Friday because you had a poorly tummy and missed your mummy.

I think that's the plan. Just see where it goes. I mean obviously we'll have to talk about it but I don't think she'll have an issue with it, I think she'd be quite happy to give it a shot and see what happens as opposed to not trying at all.

I think that's the plan.
We'll have to talk about it.
I don't think she'll have an issue with it.
I think she'd be quite happy.

Not much in there about what YOU think and want mate. It all boils down to what YOU want, this is YOUR life, maybe I am wrong but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of compromise from her end and the impression I am getting is that she doesn't really know what she wants and isn't exactly jumping into your arms. I am going to come off the fence and say that I think you should go for the job and leave her behind. The relationships I have seen survive in your situation are the ones where both backed each other up in whatever they wanted to do, if one is doing all the compromising then you're doomed. Nothing but resentment, bitterness and a chance of a good career down the pan in that future.

I don't know any of the lads I served with who, looking back, would swap their careers for a Doris. The trade I got will be one that will keep me working until retirement. I love what I do. I made friends that lasted a lifetime and have memories and stories that most people don't get to have and that still make me smile when I remember the characters I worked with. The banter and humour was, and is, brilliant. Fixing the last minute fault so the jet can go do that close air support mission and help the guys on the ground is something rewarding that I wouldn't have got to do anywhere else. I got to travel the world and get paid for it. I got to work on some great bits of kit, and also the Tornado GR4. I hate that jet. I don't regret a minute of any of it though. The juice was worth the squeeze.

I also don't remember the name of that girl in my school with the tight bum, brown eyes and knockers like two over-inflated zeppelin's that I would have given my right nut aged 16 to have a crack at either. That has been pushed out of my brain by the memories of all the totty I did get in the service.

Food for thought.

On the offchance that the OP does somehow manage to become a Son of Valhalla, birds are the last thing he will have to worry about. His primary concern will be the cost of installing a turnstile in his digs. They're quite expensive apparently.

Sons of Valhalla - ARRSEpedia

Latest Threads