Can a Leopard Change its Spots?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tastytoggle, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over recent years we've been swamped by a veritable tsunami of laws, regulations and guidance all of which has been introduced with the noble aim of making us a fairer and more civilized society.

Well, there's an old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

I don't think us Brits are capable of changing our ways. Look at the Foreign Office spoof regarding the Pope's visit. I can't stand religious or political zealots and even had I been christened in the Catholic faith, I think that I should still have smiled at some of the suggestions being muted. We love poking fun at authority!

Then, in the Metro today, an article that cheating on the playing field is endemic in schools. Astonishing! Who would have thought it? Never happened in my day :roll: European Union? We love to hate it, don't we? Churchill was in favour of it, but he was astute enough to opine that if the English ever had to choose between Europe and the open seas, they would choose the open seas. A referendum tommorrow would undoubtedly prove him correct.

The problem seems to me to be that there are too many narrow minded people in positions of authority. They either lack a proper appreciation of the society they live in or they habour a resentment which influences their judgement. It's a shame that so much time and effort is - IMO - wasted on trying to attain the unattainable. We're Brits and I don't think we'll ever change for the better.

What do you think?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

So, by your reasoning Brits will just go on getting worse.

Where does it stop? When we become French? 8O
  3. My bold: nail hit on head :roll:
  4. I thought the saying was "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' :?
  5. That doesn't even make sense. Tool

Unless I'm missing something and you're taking the piss, then I guess I'm the tool.
  6. Tool.
  7. Tool

Damn beat me to it :x
  8. Definitely a tool. Tool!
  9. FFS, leave me alone! :(
  10. I think Churchill's vision of Europe wasn't the dross that we have today.
  11. “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.”
    Stan Laurel (1890-1965)
    British comic actor
    In the Laurel and Hardy film Brats (1930)

Finally done my research, and I now know the error of my ways!

I guess I'm just showing my lack of wisdom/age!

To the guy who I originally slagged off, apologies :)
  12. That's better.Don't see that many grovelling apologies nowadays.
    You are still a tool though.
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

But a well mannered one.

Which probably means he will not last long on Arrse :D
  14. I'd also like to apologise for taking The Thread off topic. It had an interesting OP and I thought I could look in tonight, and read a decent discussion about the eu.
    Anyway, back on topic. The eu, it's crap, IMHO.
    Unelected officials making policies for countries whose only commanality is that they may share a border, a one cap fits all approach is crazy.( My mother-in-law, to quote her in full explains it most succintley. "It's crazy, somebody should do something") This line of reasoning can be fitted into almost any arguement, and generally gets a few nods of agreement.
    However I have a sneaking suspicion quoting The M-I-L is not going to win many arguements on here.
    The way I understand it, we elect MEPs, and they are then trusted to appoint The Hierarchy, who, like a religous diety, then impose their words of wisdom on us poor proles, regardless of how their policies will effect The Common Worker. Their diktaks already effect whole swathes of our society.

How are they held to account?

When will The eu accounts ever get signed off.

It's crazy.
  15. If a leopard could change its spots, it would be defying the laws of nature!!