• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Can a Boxheed join the British Army?

#1
Over on the Bundeswehrforum, there's a Boxheed who's asking if he can apply for naturlisation as a Brit citizen in spite of the fact that he's already been called up to serve in the Bundeswehr. Apparently, he'd like to join the British Army (he wants to be a Monkey, FFS!), but is that actually possible, even after he's naturalised?

This is the thread:
http://www.bundeswehrforum.de/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=10&topic=18566.0

I know there shouldn't be much trouble becoming a Brit citizen, as long as all the conditions are fulfilled, but would he then be eligible to join?

Anybody know?

MsG
 
#7
Naturalisation is sufficient providing they get written documentation from their country of origin exempting them from being called up for national service/conscription in times of war. (Him indoors was naturalised for the same reason but it took so bloody long he never joined up in the end)


edited for spastic fingers
 
#8
Was a German who served (RAMC?) about 15 years ago but he was born in the UK whilst his parents were on holiday. There was an article in the papers about it at the time.
 

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
We had a Boxhead join depot with us , he later joined sniper Plt, his dad turned up at Passing out Parade with an Iron Cross he was nails, one of Col Students original Fallshimjager. Gen Frost was the reveiwing Officer, f,,,king Class.
 
#10
There was a Sergeant in the Grenadier Guards band who previous to his British army service had served as a 16 year old in the Volksturm in 1945 and was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class.
He joined in about 1960 and did his full whack and added a LS&GC to his haul.
I have a picture of him in full Guards uniform with 2 colleagues clearly showing his IKII underneath his Sergeants sash and I will try to upload it if I can learn how to, however this picture is in the ARRSE archives.

Apparently he was something of a legend but is sadly no longer with us.

Can any Woodentops confirm please?

NB. I believe he never gave up his German nationality.
 
#11
brettarider said:
Was a German who served (RAMC?) about 15 years ago but he was born in the UK whilst his parents were on holiday. There was an article in the papers about it at the time.
We had two Klaus the ugliest man in NATO and another in the early 80 who’s name escapes me.
 
#13
We have one currently serving who did his conscription with a kraut artillery unit prior to joining us. His da was a squaddie who had settled in cabbage land though...

CW
 
#14
WE had a German who had no relatives with brit blood at all, however he was born here when his dad was working in the country and qualified for a passport. He joined up after he had done national service because he wanted to see action, however he joined as NI was drawing down and the only thing of interest was SFOR and was suitably bored.

I will always laugh at the memories of him having to stand to attention in front of the troop and "apologising vor the actions of his people during ze wor" in best Harry Enfield accent
 
#15
Why not? We have everybody else in the British Army, there are even some Brits I believe. On a more serious note I once knew an RAF officer who was born in East Berlin about 1960! Never did work that one out.
 
#16
cbgramc said:
brettarider said:
Was a German who served (RAMC?) about 15 years ago but he was born in the UK whilst his parents were on holiday. There was an article in the papers about it at the time.
We had two Klaus the ugliest man in NATO and another in the early 80 who’s name escapes me.
Yep ! Klaus Adolf Willi Gri**le....where are you Klaus........frightening the bejesus out of people somewhere I'll bet !
 
#17
Scabbers said:
cbgramc said:
brettarider said:
Was a German who served (RAMC?) about 15 years ago but he was born in the UK whilst his parents were on holiday. There was an article in the papers about it at the time.
We had two Klaus the ugliest man in NATO and another in the early 80 who’s name escapes me.
Yep ! Klaus Adolf Willi Gri**le....where are you Klaus........frightening the bejesus out of people somewhere I'll bet !
I did my class 1 with his brother who was also RAMC nice bloke
 

Latest Threads