Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Can’t promote no matter how much I do!

If you are still a private by the time your next posting, then just stitch on a tape and turn up as a lance jack. Information is always missing about people. Unless you are a complete incompetent, nobody will question it.
If you get away with it, start pushing for your next promotion course. Pass that with a good grade, and your corps will be too embarrassed to raise the matter, if your dirty little secret gets out.

Last edited:
If you are still a private by the time your next posting, then just stitch on a tape and turn up as a lance jack. Information is always missing about people. Unless you are a complete incompetent, nobody will question it.
If you get away with it, start pushing for your next promotion course. Pass that with a god grade, and your corps will be too embarrassed to raise the matter, if your dirty little secret gets out.
That would take a set of huge balls to even attempt

If you've been pinged to go for a commission bloody well go for it.

Even if its just for the satisfaction of getting the people who have been knobs towards you to have to salute and call you Sir.

But, remember.. You might just be writing out THEIR SJAR for promotion in a few years time. Play the long game

As I'm sure you know, you're too old to go for a DE Commission under the existing system, but have the prospect of a LE Commission from anywhere between Sgt-WO1 (varies by cap badge and subject to change soon).

I've seen this many, many times in the time I've been in. It all sounds like further evidence to suggest that the SJAR system is a mess. Why is promotion not based on evidenced competency rather than opinions of a couple of individuals who you probably rarely see?

As I'm sure you know, you're too old to go for a DE Commission under the existing system, but have the prospect of a LE Commission from anywhere between Sgt-WO1 (varies by cap badge and subject to change soon).

I've seen this many, many times in the time I've been in. It all sounds like further evidence to suggest that the SJAR system is a mess. Why is promotion not based on evidenced competency rather than opinions of a couple of individuals who you probably rarely see?

MS is meant to be evidenced - I certainly used to get shouted at a lot when I wrote things that were less than empirical. Random opinions slotted in there is poor showing on the front of the writers - it should (and easily can) be challenged where possible.

I've never been in the Army, or any other branch of the Armed Forces.
So I can only offer an observation, based on how humans operate.

Which is this:

If you want to get promoted, always display a deferential attitude towards officers of superior rank.

Never directly contradict their views, even if they're obviously wrong. Use subtle tact and diplomacy, to suggest an alternative view. Which can then be adopted by the superior officer. So that he can claim, that he thought of it himself.

The superior officer may realise that he didn't think of it himself. But he will be grateful to you. And so write a favourable report on you. Which will help get you promoted.

Isn't that how the Army operates. Or are there other factors - what are they?

Which is this:

If you want to get promoted, always display a deferential attitude towards officers of superior rank.

Never directly contradict their views, even if they're obviously wrong. Use subtle tact and diplomacy, to suggest an alternative view. Which can then be adopted by the superior officer. So that he can claim, that he thought of it himself.

The superior officer may realise that he didn't think of it himself. But he will be grateful to you. And so write a favourable report on you. Which will help get you promoted.

You watched Blackadder, admit it.

Which is this:

Jesus. Where to begin?