Can’t promote no matter how much I do!

Buddy!

War Hero
As I'm sure you know, you're too old to go for a DE Commission under the existing system, but have the prospect of a LE Commission from anywhere between Sgt-WO1 (varies by cap badge and subject to change soon).

I've seen this many, many times in the time I've been in. It all sounds like further evidence to suggest that the SJAR system is a mess. Why is promotion not based on evidenced competency rather than opinions of a couple of individuals who you probably rarely see?

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
As I'm sure you know, you're too old to go for a DE Commission under the existing system, but have the prospect of a LE Commission from anywhere between Sgt-WO1 (varies by cap badge and subject to change soon).

I've seen this many, many times in the time I've been in. It all sounds like further evidence to suggest that the SJAR system is a mess. Why is promotion not based on evidenced competency rather than opinions of a couple of individuals who you probably rarely see?

MS is meant to be evidenced - I certainly used to get shouted at a lot when I wrote things that were less than empirical. Random opinions slotted in there is poor showing on the front of the writers - it should (and easily can) be challenged where possible.

Charles1948

Old-Salt
I've never been in the Army, or any other branch of the Armed Forces.
So I can only offer an observation, based on how humans operate.

Which is this:

If you want to get promoted, always display a deferential attitude towards officers of superior rank.

Never directly contradict their views, even if they're obviously wrong. Use subtle tact and diplomacy, to suggest an alternative view. Which can then be adopted by the superior officer. So that he can claim, that he thought of it himself.

The superior officer may realise that he didn't think of it himself. But he will be grateful to you. And so write a favourable report on you. Which will help get you promoted.

Isn't that how the Army operates. Or are there other factors - what are they?

Which is this:

If you want to get promoted, always display a deferential attitude towards officers of superior rank.

Never directly contradict their views, even if they're obviously wrong. Use subtle tact and diplomacy, to suggest an alternative view. Which can then be adopted by the superior officer. So that he can claim, that he thought of it himself.

The superior officer may realise that he didn't think of it himself. But he will be grateful to you. And so write a favourable report on you. Which will help get you promoted.

You watched Blackadder, admit it.

Which is this:

Jesus. Where to begin?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
As I said earlier, transfer to Ammo Tech. You’ll be L/Cpl on completion of your course, Cpl a year later and Sgt 18 months to 2 years after that.
Good advice.

I like the way you stopped at Sgt, what happens after that?*

*FFS, don’t tell him.

Latest Threads