Can’t promote no matter how much I do!

Warning, another bitter Pte thread! Seriously though, could gen do with some advice here as my morale ain’t sitting too pretty. Bit about myself, joined at 26 having quit an office management job so nearly 31 now. Idea when joining is just to progress through the ranks ASAP and pick up some money for the family and make a career out of it. In the RLC (be nice) I’m that loser that sits reading the TAM, trade notes and absolutely love my phys. Never liked being the guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing so I do try to keep on top it.

So, 2 year posting at my first unit, second SJAR got recommended, all in all, too much time boxing, not enough trade. Was disappointed as I was coming into work in between boxing sessions so that didn’t happen but didn’t argue. Next posting is a mainstream unit. I knuckle down, 95% of Pte’s are really junior and the standard was low so I make sure I have all the boxes ticked, conducted green lessons, volunteer to go to the Falklands where I was acting LCpl and got a recommendation for commission, then took over a full screws pid too, got selected for three corps sports, helped to coach boxing team, tonne of charity/community work and loads more. You name it, I probably did it. Came back SJAR was ok, grade was a B+. Received my sjar via watsapp right before sJars were due to be sent. I question the sjar as most of what I had done was left out and I didn’t think my grade reflected my performance. Was accused about lying about what I’d done, got proof, they refused to look at the proof, few bits were changed, told there is nothing more they will do, reluctantly signed (mong) had a meeting with RCMO, can totally see where you’re coming from but because you’ve signed, there’s nothing I can do. Brilliant. This meeting I had with my Sgt and troopy when questioning my sjar didn’t go too well. Didn’t want to listen to me, look at my proof, spoke to me like shit, constantly interrupted me and it’s fair to say I didn’t exactly put my d**k between my legs. I had my say which in hindsight, hasn’t gone well for me in the long term.

after this fiasco, my morale hit an all time low, I hated work, hated military life and just couldn’t be bothered to make any effort bantering with my peers though I would say hello or morning ect. Having said that, I continued with my box ticking exercise, stepping up every opportunity I could, coaching, teaching mentoring green, trade and phys. I’ll either volunteer as I enjoy it or CoC will ask me as they know my all round knowledge is pretty good. So my Sgt who was basically flexing at me and micromanaging me is questioning me about something I’ve done and I guess after everything that’s happened, I finally snapped. We had a big argument and I didn’t hold back, worse still it’s in front of the full Sqn (clever, I know.) Long story short, I have to write a statement and I explain the full situation but accept full responsibility for the way I conducted my self with a senior rank. This incident happens in late January and we’re now in may nearly and I haven’t heard anything back in terms of disciplinary action.

Following this major snap, huge weight lifted off my shoulders and I get back to bring me having banter with the bods, but I continue with my box ticking exercise. Snrs are delegating tasks for me to pass down, I’m giving lessons left right and centre, stepping up. Had to do a profile sheet for what we had done for the year and the seniors from other troops are passing mine around as an example and my snrs are telling other ptes to follow my example.

Now to today. I get pulled in after a grading board and I’m told that I will get a recommendation but probably won’t promote. I’m gutted. He said that my troop are saying I’m the best Pte in the regiment and the only thing they have against me is this argument I had in front of Sqn. Wtf can I do? I know that my green knowledge is far better than anyone my rank in the regiment, trade knowledge is up there with the best and there’s maybe one or two lads that maybe as fit as me and in terms of what have I got to show for it, I’ve got too much to fit in my sjar. But I did have that argument, I was in the wrong so how can I question this? Is there anything I can do?

sorry for the life story, probably bored half of you to death. Any help would be appreciated

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Warning, another bitter Pte thread! Seriously though, could gen do with some advice here as my morale ain’t sitting too pretty. Bit about myself, joined at 26 having quit an office management job so nearly 31 now. Idea when joining is just to progress through the ranks ASAP and pick up some money for the family and make a career out of it. In the RLC (be nice) I’m that loser that sits reading the TAM, trade notes and absolutely love my phys. Never liked being the guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing so I do try to keep on top it.

So, 2 year posting at my first unit, second SJAR got recommended, all in all, too much time boxing, not enough trade. Was disappointed as I was coming into work in between boxing sessions so that didn’t happen but didn’t argue. Next posting is a mainstream unit. I knuckle down, 95% of Pte’s are really junior and the standard was low so I make sure I have all the boxes ticked, conducted green lessons, volunteer to go to the Falklands where I was acting LCpl and got a recommendation for commission, then took over a full screws pid too, got selected for three corps sports, helped to coach boxing team, tonne of charity/community work and loads more. You name it, I probably did it. Came back SJAR was ok, grade was a B+. Received my sjar via watsapp right before sJars were due to be sent. I question the sjar as most of what I had done was left out and I didn’t think my grade reflected my performance. Was accused about lying about what I’d done, got proof, they refused to look at the proof, few bits were changed, told there is nothing more they will do, reluctantly signed (mong) had a meeting with RCMO, can totally see where you’re coming from but because you’ve signed, there’s nothing I can do. Brilliant. This meeting I had with my Sgt and troopy when questioning my sjar didn’t go too well. Didn’t want to listen to me, look at my proof, spoke to me like shit, constantly interrupted me and it’s fair to say I didn’t exactly put my d**k between my legs. I had my say which in hindsight, hasn’t gone well for me in the long term.

after this fiasco, my morale hit an all time low, I hated work, hated military life and just couldn’t be bothered to make any effort bantering with my peers though I would say hello or morning ect. Having said that, I continued with my box ticking exercise, stepping up every opportunity I could, coaching, teaching mentoring green, trade and phys. I’ll either volunteer as I enjoy it or CoC will ask me as they know my all round knowledge is pretty good. So my Sgt who was basically flexing at me and micromanaging me is questioning me about something I’ve done and I guess after everything that’s happened, I finally snapped. We had a big argument and I didn’t hold back, worse still it’s in front of the full Sqn (clever, I know.) Long story short, I have to write a statement and I explain the full situation but accept full responsibility for the way I conducted my self with a senior rank. This incident happens in late January and we’re now in may nearly and I haven’t heard anything back in terms of disciplinary action.

Following this major snap, huge weight lifted off my shoulders and I get back to bring me having banter with the bods, but I continue with my box ticking exercise. Snrs are delegating tasks for me to pass down, I’m giving lessons left right and centre, stepping up. Had to do a profile sheet for what we had done for the year and the seniors from other troops are passing mine around as an example and my snrs are telling other ptes to follow my example.

Now to today. I get pulled in after a grading board and I’m told that I will get a recommendation but probably won’t promote. I’m gutted. He said that my troop are saying I’m the best Pte in the regiment and the only thing they have against me is this argument I had in front of Sqn. Wtf can I do? I know that my green knowledge is far better than anyone my rank in the regiment, trade knowledge is up there with the best and there’s maybe one or two lads that maybe as fit as me and in terms of what have I got to show for it, I’ve got too much to fit in my sjar. But I did have that argument, I was in the wrong so how can I question this? Is there anything I can do?

sorry for the life story, probably bored half of you to death. Any help would be appreciated

Your card's marked - get a move to a different unit

What FY man said. You're obviously quite ambitious and have a high opinion of yourself.
Are you trying too hard? It's easy to put people's faces out of joint today.

I was quite content to saunter through an uneventful 'Career', quite shocked to get a tape with a year to go before demob, Quite enjoyed last 12 months strangely. Stay cool, good luck.

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
If you've been recommended for a commission - why not give it a shot? I was an utterly useless private soldier, but according to my OJARs I've morphed into an almost competent officer.

Maybe they haven't caught me yet - but worth a go nevertheless!

If you've been recommended for a commission - why not give it a shot? I was an utterly useless private soldier, but according to my OJARs I've morphed into an almost competent officer.

Maybe they haven't caught me yet - but worth a go nevertheless!

Did you have good Private soldiers by any chance?

What FY man said. You're obviously quite ambitious and have a high opinion of yourself.
Are you trying too hard? It's easy to put people's faces out of joint today.
Definitely ambitions, for myself and the family. Not so much a high opinion but I am motivated to work as hard as I can which is why I’m always trying to learn off the people who have more experience and know more than me. Maybe I do try too hard but how do you put less than 100% in when you’re trying to achieve?

Definitely ambitions, for myself and the family. Not so much a high opinion but I am motivated to work as hard as I can which is why I’m always trying to learn off the people who have more experience and know more than me. Maybe I do try too hard but how do you put less than 100% in when you’re trying to achieve?

As I said earlier, transfer to Ammo Tech. You’ll be L/Cpl on completion of your course, Cpl a year later and Sgt 18 months to 2 years after that.

In short, it's really hard when you're moving Regiments/ Units. But, don't worry too much about what your 1RO writes about or whether they catch all the detail of what you have done in the year or what your grade is. Much more important is what your 2RO writes in the potential box and what your recommendation for promotion says. If you get a "Yes" recommendation then you're unlikely to promote, you will need a "High" or "Exceptional" recommendation and end up pretty high up the pecking order of Private soldiers. What the 2RO writes in your SJAR is really important - to be in with a good chance of promotion they should ideally say, "Private X must promote on the next LCpls board in 2022...". If is says you are recommended for promotion or "should" or "could" promote then you're probably out of luck.

So, how do you convince your 2RO that you"must" promote? Well, look around at the really good LCpls and Cpls and see what they have about them that makes them stand out. Take on responsibility, try not to pick an argument in front of your Sqn (a cheap shot but I hope you know what I mean!).

Finally, remember that there are likely loads of Private soldiers in your unit. Each year you are all graded and given a score out of 10 by 5 board members. 6 /10 equals doing your job and is the most common score on a promotion board 7.5/10 and upwards is good and starts putting you in promotion territory. Your report (the 2RO) bit needs to stand out from the crowd. None of this helps for the time being but I hope it gives you some understanding of how the system works... or doesn't depending on your viewpoint. Good luck in the future.

Join decent trade in the air force . you get promoted if you turn up sober do what you are told 'most of the time' and don't go AWOL more than a couple of times .

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
Did you have good Private soldiers by any chance?

In many cases, no - at least at the beginning.

They just needed a prod in the right direction and someone who tried to instill high standards into them. I wasn't the best TC by any stretch, but probably the right person for the job at the time.

If you are still a private by the time your next posting, then just stitch on a tape and turn up as a lance jack. Information is always missing about people. Unless you are a complete incompetent, nobody will question it.
If you get away with it, start pushing for your next promotion course. Pass that with a good grade, and your corps will be too embarrassed to raise the matter, if your dirty little secret gets out.

Last edited:
If you are still a private by the time your next posting, then just stitch on a tape and turn up as a lance jack. Information is always missing about people. Unless you are a complete incompetent, nobody will question it.
If you get away with it, start pushing for your next promotion course. Pass that with a god grade, and your corps will be too embarrassed to raise the matter, if your dirty little secret gets out.
That would take a set of huge balls to even attempt

You sound awesome! Can I be your boyfriend?

Go CDO LOG, and sit on the right hand of God, whilst wearing the Green Lid of Excellence!

If you've been pinged to go for a commission bloody well go for it.

Even if its just for the satisfaction of getting the people who have been knobs towards you to have to salute and call you Sir.

But, remember.. You might just be writing out THEIR SJAR for promotion in a few years time. Play the long game

Latest Threads