Can’t stand curry? Sorry, you can’t join the Army

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Aug 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

A would-be recruit to the Welsh Guards has been turned down for military service after failing the regimental curry test.

Stephen Hudson, 21, from Valley, Anglesey, thought that he had satisfied the selection board, but he fell at the last fence when he confessed in a medical questionnaire to an allergic reaction to coconut and cardamom, two key ingredients in an authentically prepared sauce.

The hopeful soldier does not even like curry, so the rejection letter which landed on his doorstep hit him with all the force of a hot vindaloo.

“Dear Mr Hudson,” it said, “I regret to inform you that after reviewing your medical history on the evidence available to us you do not meet the current Army medical standard and therefore you are not eligible for military service.”
  2. Perhaps its more to do with his nut allergy which could cause a serious problem. I doubt they make nut free compo
  3. I imagine this is about the Armed Forces being unable to accept anyone who displays a severe allergic reaction, and not necessarily about curry per se.

Although I may be wrong - who knows with the Army these days? :D
  4. This young gentleman should be allowed to join the army ,Yes o.k. he as a allergy's but so do thousands of other people in this country like myself as long as he Carry's his epipen/Ana pen around with him at all time's and people he is serving with is aware of his allergy i can see no problems.
  5. Surely having an allergic reaction to any food could put somebody at risk in an environment where you can't always be 100% sure what they are eating? Now I'm not saying that the chefs are not doing their job or the kitchens are unhygenic, but we have all had that norgy of hot brown liquid and not been able to tell if it was tea or coffee, or having asked at the hotplate what "that stuff in the sauce is", only to find it's something completely different and the last thing you would have chosen. For me an inconvinience, for someone with a food allergy a potentially dangerous situation.

Refusal on medical grounds, short and simple. Anything about curry is purely the papers doing what they do, making an interesting story where there was nothing.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Exactly - I'm sorry for the lad but the rules in cases like these are for pretty obvious reasons
  7. Perhaps I'm biased having spent half my childhood living in a Thai family, but I can't help viewing the enjoyment of curry as one of life's little tests, like enjoying top gear or hating Elton John. And that has nothing to do with sexuality, more to do with rampant stupidty that threatens the evolution of humanity.
  8. I see the idiot is back. Useful advice as ever.
  9. Erus_Micoviscus have you ever had a allergy and had to carry a epi pen ,You are saying this is the wrong advise when have you passed your exams as a doctor or had to use a epi pen .This young lad should at least be given a chance ,What would of happened if he had joined the army and then they found out he had allergys ?

10. Here we go again......

Fcuk off Chubb. Your input is as useful as sticking a bag of wasps up your arse.
  11. Simply turn on that magic bit of software, and it vanishes.

12. Ta. ;)

Thought it was on automatically.
  13. Thanks for the heads-up, I hadn't realised there was a filter. Sorted.
  14. At first glance, this is the most ridiculous reason I have ever seen for rejection for military service. After all, he was not applying to join the Gurkhas, where love of curry is an absolute necessity.

I could understand rejection from the Welsh Guards if he was allergic to leeks, or even daffodils, but curry!!???

I have a nut allergy and in fact I am allergic to most fruit, including (especially) apples. Eggs make me physically sick and I have never liked how the heck did I ever make Warrant Rank? Easy, I ate something else and drank lots of alcohol to keep my system pure.
  15. If he had said that he was allergic to sun and sand and bullets, but curry?