camping within the uk

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by FukcinOutrageous, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.

Myself and a few mates found out today that we've got the rest of the week off, and are looking for something fun to do that won't break the bank.

We've searched last and a few others for flights into europe etc but can't find anything that really appeals, so have set our sights on camping, with a bit of walking, and whatever else we can jack up during the day.

The thing is we're interested in parking up somewhere and cutting off into the woods with kit, sitting up with a campfire and a couple of crates talking crap all night etc, then fit some activities in during the day. All we can seem to find online relates to the whole get a pitch and camp next to your car, keep the noise down and dont scare the neighbours type of arrangement.

We're basically after any tips on sites or spots (both positive and negative welcome) that either have switced on staff that are happy with squaddie behaviour, or who cater for this kind of thing but we havent been able to find online.

We're london based but not affraid to travel if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance,
  2. Try Newquay, weather will still be ok and they are more than used to squaddie types (and worse) there. Can do all kinds of stuff in the day and then get lashed in the night on the beach.
  3. Plenty of 'wild camping' in the lake district. Also up in jockland, beyond Loch lomond.

Try googling 'wild camping', plenty of stuff on the net about it and hints on were is good, bad etc.
  4. Try searching the forum on this site:

They have quite a lot of stuff on wild camping IIRC. I wish someone would give me the rest of the week off on a Monday!
  5. There's a huge unspoilt area just south of Richmond, North Yorkshire - you can just roll up, pitch a dayglo tent, light fires and dig out the boogie box. You'll be really welcome!

6. Got to agree, I spent a fortnight dossing down here when I first came out the army
  7. Much faster response than I was expecting, thanks to all.

Nequay's sounding good.

May give Richmond and the likes a miss cheers!

Top e-camping-directory link tho puttees, straight from your favourites list into mine! xx
  8. Go on. I dare you! :twisted:
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

10. I double-dare he does his morning stretches in this:

11. I've used the red squirrel, good campsite and all the hills(read mountains) you could ever imagine climbing on your doorstep. Campfires allowed and you may have just missed midgie season....
  12. That your other half, DB?
  13. No, green's not his colour - he has a red one! :D