Camping it up

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Muzzle_Brake, Apr 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok people, The title says it all? I am looking at buying a small 2 man tent and a stove. The thing is it needs to be able to be slung over and bungee'd to my Motor cycle or to fit in the panniers? The same goes for the stove will only be used for brews at most boil in the bag. Any ideas welcome.

2. ...and I thought that you were turning into a "nice boy".....

3. Dont, I repeat DONT be tempted to buy an Argos special !!!!! especially the Sydney 1 man as they are utter sh1te. Tents are like everything, you get what you pay for. Shame you did,nt have a trike as in a few months I,ll have a small Dandy folding camper for sale.
    Try this forum www.ukcampsite.co.uk you,ll find opinions on any type of tent, straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Regards LT.

4. For stove I would suggest the Jetboil its got a hefty tag but is built to last and great for boil in the bag so long as you are Ok using gas.
    As for two men tents I saw a couple displayed at Blacks over the weekend plenty of good choice there and you get services 10% discount. A friend recomends the Vango Spirit 200 as it has space to stow your kit or the cheaper Karrimor Beta.

Have fun mate

Cheers

5. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

I have a cheap £7 tent from Asda or somewere like that that I use for scooter rallies ect small enough to put on the back of the scooter and for the price of it your not arsed if you only get a few trips out of it I know some lads who buy a new one each rally and leave it on site less to bring back

6. Just make sure that the tent erects FLYSHEET-FIRST, as you can guarantee it will be raining when you make camp. Most small tents will fit just about anywhere if you pack the poles separately. If you go for a tent with fibre-glass hoops, buy additional hoop sections, cut them to a manageable length to fit in your panniers and string enough of them together to replace the originals.

As far as a stove is concerned, get gas with a screw-on cartridge. Some are available that fit inside an included pan. The advantage is that you can brew up inside the tent if the weather is bad. (Obviously, use care as the instructions say don't do it, but you stand a much lesser chance of burning the tent down than with petrol or spirits stoves).