Camping Battlefield Tour on the Somme

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by barbarasson, Apr 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In a moment of drunken idiocy I have agreed to try and run a battlefield tour to the Somme for some of my CCF Contingent. Due to various child protection issues booking hotels for school kids is a total arrse, therefore I thought a way around this would be to camp instead of using hotels/hostels. Has anyone any experience of camping in the Somme region, or of trying this particular type of trip before? Any thoughts more than welcome...

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Kemmel, isnt bad, in the middle of Ypres and the Somme (nearly), plus the facilities are good. (i.e. it has a bar!)

3. Was involved in a tour to Mons and Ypres but did it in uniform. Blokes bashered up in woods (with prior agreement of landowner) and used hexamine stoves to cook breakfast. Midday and evening meals were taken at restaurants and cafes.

This will not be possible on the Somme as the French have a huge problem with foreign military uniforms on their turf (except german?) and you would probably need some sort of clearance to do it.

4. im taking 40 army cadets of to cambrai(france for 4 days on thursday,we booked a campsite on the outskirts of town, we can only wear uniform for the rememberance service at the cemetry,weve done it all quite cheap,pm me if you want some more info mate

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

All you needed was incoming, mud, mustard gas and shrapnel and you could have recreated the First day on the Somme.

6. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Try www.avrilwilliams.com in Auchonvillers. Ex pat who has a B&B and field behind her place big enough for tents plus restored tenches in her garden.

7. There is a good camp site in Albert.

There is an RAMC Sgt at ATR Winchester who is an amateur Great War historian. He spends a lot of time camping on the Somme researching battlefileds of the Great War. He can tell you chapter and verse about the merits of different camp sites. Send me a PM and I will give you a name and contact details.

8. thanks for all the advice, this is beginning to look plausible...

9. You could also try Le Tommy, a bar/cafe/museum/hotel at the Thiepval crossroads on the main Albert/Bapaume drag. Omlette for breakfast, lunch and, err ... dinner. The first time I went there it was a gungy little bar with a 'collection' of memorabilia with a load of budgerigars. Things have changed, as you'll see from the web.

The people there (Dominique? & his 8ft tall Mrs) have an eccentric streak, can't think how they picked that up when surrounded by WFA / Walts / Tourists / Frog Pipers / etc.

If camping, I'm sure you'll already appreciate the merits of not having to dig latrines (or anything) in the area. Also your little scrotes (sorry, cherished young adults) will be getting suitably dire warnings of dabbling in the iron harvest .... being out in the open is great but lots of opportunities for rooting around.