camping advice

Do a couple of nights in each starting with the one you consider worst. You can threfore end your holiday on a high! That part of the UK coastline is exceptional. I drove down all the B roads to Lyme Regis the other week - great

thanks but I am travelling by public transport! Train to Weymouth then bus or taxi to campsite. Sea Barn has views over Chesil Beach and you can use the pool at West Fleet so that may have the edge over the others........
The coast line does look beautiful - my long weekend may have to extend for a day or so

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
throw the kids in the pool and they will soon warm it up, we should have had enough sun to heat it a bit now anyway

throw the kids in the pool and they will soon warm it up, we should have had enough sun to heat it a bit now anyway
I don't have any kids - I'm going on my own :)

Whilst your down there nip into Bovington for some Monkey business....at monkey World that is...well unless your after some of the tankies.

Just back from a weekend at Durdle Door campsite (2 hours 20 from Clapham Jct, 10 minute taxi ride from Wool station) - good location, 10 minutes walk from Man o' War and Durdle Door beaches (pebbles but great views). Was busy this weekend but sure it will quieten down now half term over. Good site, but if you go for the wooded area, ensure you have ear plugs as the rooks are bl**dy noisy! Shower blocks are newly revamped and pretty clean and tidy. Costcutter on site if needed. It's on the South West Coast path and about a mile from Lulworth. Recommend the fish and chips at Finleys in Lulworth. Durdle Door's site - The Lulworth Estate

Just back from a weekend at Durdle Door campsite (2 hours 20 from Clapham Jct, 10 minute taxi ride from Wool station) - good location, 10 minutes walk from Man o' War and Durdle Door beaches (pebbles but great views). Was busy this weekend but sure it will quieten down now half term over. Good site, but if you go for the wooded area, ensure you have ear plugs as the rooks are bl**dy noisy! Shower blocks are newly revamped and pretty clean and tidy. Costcutter on site if needed. It's on the South West Coast path and about a mile from Lulworth. Recommend the fish and chips at Finleys in Lulworth. Durdle Door's site - The Lulworth Estate
that sounds lovely - I may consider it later in the summer if I am going with friends but at £20 a night it is more expensive than the three in the frame for June.

Durdle Door is good but expensive - we have been going there for years (15 at least) but it is becoming very commercial and also very full of children.
I spent many childhood summers on the farm at the end of the drive to Moonfleet hotel , both Sea barn and West Fleet are similar , sea barn used to have some fields that were away from the main site and tended to be more peaceful - read less kids .
Other options in the area are some basic farm field type campsites along past Tyneham.
We avoid at all cost's now the school hols and bank holidays , sadly many campers now are of the chav type with little regard for others
If you are going alone why not take minimal kit and wild camp along the coast, start at say West Bay and work your way along to Durdle or to Kimmerage - loads of hidden bays along the way where we have spent many a happy peaceful night with just a drift wood fire and the stars for company -( subject to the ranges being open if you want to go past Lulworth cove) the good thing is with so many campsites on the coast not to mention pubs you only have to carry minimal food and water.

The joys of illegal wild camping | Travel | The Guardian

but grimbo - wild camping is illegal - it says so in this Guardian article :)
TBH thats no bad thing .... it generaly means those that do are discreet and don't go causing a fuss also generaly abide by the leave no trace ethic , I come from a farming background and we would have all kind of problems with people pitching tents in the middle of wheat fields or trying to sue us because they camped in a field of cows and unsurprisingly the cows tried to eat thier tent .
Legal in Scotland though

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
strange thing the poles have done more to improve our chances at camping rough as they are at it constantly and the farmers etc.. are getting used to it as they tend to kepe the sites clean except for the fire spot.

unlike our own inbred chavvy shiteheads.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
TBH thats no bad thing .... it generaly means those that do are discreet and don't go causing a fuss also generaly abide by the leave no trace ethic , I come from a farming background and we would have all kind of problems with people pitching tents in the middle of wheat fields or trying to sue us because they camped in a field of cows and unsurprisingly the cows tried to eat thier tent .
Legal in Scotland though
Plenty wild camping up in the highlands, especially with current countryside access laws.

wild camping in Scotland

re Durdle Door - agree re kids, some of them were mine this weekend, but excuse was meeting up with friends from London. Would far prefer something more basic and with a view but not sure if Herself would agree! Poppy, thanks for links to alternatives

strange thing the poles have done more to improve our chances at camping rough as they are at it constantly and the farmers etc.. are getting used to it as they tend to kepe the sites clean except for the fire spot.

unlike our own inbred chavvy shiteheads.
Only trouble with the Poles is their tendancy to eat the carp from ponds not to mention swans and other wildfowl .... they tend to take the wild camping ethic a bit far.... a good friend is a Pole and also ex French Legion so I have first hand experience :)