Camp America - shooting counselor, need help!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RezzaDue, May 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RezzaDue

RezzaDue Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Arrsers far and wide,

I have been selected to be a shooting instructor at a summer camp this summer and I need help.

This camp business is all about making the most of summer FOR THE KIDS, and it is up to the counselors to do this. Whether they are up all night preping the next lesson or spending hours of extra time with a camper in order for them to achieve the perfect shooting position. Although this is not a specifically shooting camp, it's just my role.

I hope I will have the drive and determination to put in the hours, certain activities I have participated in show I do.
    But the thing that is bothering me the most is the amount of material I have (or the lack of) in actually teaching the subject.
    At the moment I have a few handouts from when i was in cadets and my experience, but I feel so under prepped and all I want to do is give these kids the best shooting experience I can as this will probably define if they carry on shooting in their lives, or even if they enjoy it.
    As for my experience, I have been shooting for just over 4 years will all the weapons the cadets allow, as well as participating in some of their competitions over the years, never was able to go to Bisley (I did qualify twice though) cause that was the only time my parents got off and when we could go on holiday. Family comes first. I have also been on the cadet coaching course, but a lot of what I learned there won't matter as it is just a 25 yard range.

The position does not require any formal qualifications and does include training beforehand on how to deal with the kids with regards to discipline etc.

What I really am asking for are training pams, aids and anything else you could supply. The camp requires me to teach prone, sitting, kneeling and standing positions when using a .22 target rifle at 25 yards. Included with this are the load, make ready and unload drills.
    I also require information of the duties of the RCO.

I am aware that the septics control ranges in their own way, but they can bugger off cause I am the RCO there and the British way is easier to understand and is just a better system in general.

I would really, really, really appreciate any information given - even in PM to keep it out of the general public domain.

Thanks again.

2. RD 1st of all - "calm down dear" - Camp America is a summer camp for kids in the states - not recruitment for SF !!. Obviously they need to be taught to a basic standard - safely. You'll most certainly get the required training when you get there. I'd suggest posting this in the international/USA forum and seek guidance from our transatlantic cousins. My daughter went as a camp counsellor 10 years ago and loved it.

3. BLOODY HELL! They are still going? I went on this in 1970..No more knowledge than you.The first rule is SAFETY Safety,safety.
    I went through the entire summers worth of ammo in the first month.......Owners were not impressed!make it FUN! Make it competitive.....who can hit the most bottle tops etc.It is ******* great fun,enjoy yourself mate.

4. Marksmanship Principles | Army Cadet Force .net

No1 hit on googly with marksmanship principles as the search, there is even a further link on the page to some spam sniper manual, as if thats relevent to the Royal Berking kiddyfidlers brigade...

5. RezzaDue

Cheers for all the responses.

bcsack: I am calm, I just want to give these kids the summer they are paying for ($9000 for 8 weeks).

Detmold drunk: Cheers for the tip on safety, I did expect it to the standard we run ranges at. Probably a bit more, and I reckon ammo isn't really a factor for the camp :)

Arse Bandit: I am prettty well versed in the M+P's and they are easy to teach. Its other factors such as the different positions im interested in.

I probably am going overboard with this, but the 6 P's keep running around in my head and I can't disagree with them.

6. RD -

Good for you, getting involved with teaching kids about shooting sports.

I gather from your post that you will be teaching at a camp in the US. Here in the US the training standards used are almost always those of the National Rifle Association. Their website is Programs

I am not sure of your familiarity with US standards for training youth to shoot safely. You have indicated that you much prefer the UK standards. I should mention that kids camps in the US tend to be very cautious as to safety in general and will likely be even more cautious if the activity involves firearms. All camps have a natural fear of litigation. Right or wrong that is the way society works.

If the camp has established standards as to safe training based on the NRA programs for youth, I would expect much reluctance to change the training standards based on the preference of an instructor based on what he is accustomed to. I am not the attorney for any camp but if I were the attorney I would advise them that they would be barking mad to change their safety training program away form what is standard. If one child was injured at a range controlled by non-standard procedures that child and his family would be very likely to own the camp and the bank accounts of it's directors. At one time I was the attorney for a urban police department and I know that range procedures stuck by standard NRA protocols.

I do hope you will contact the camp in advance and ask about their training protocols. You would not want to be surprised when you get there.

I do hope you have a nice time in the US and enjoy your stay here.

7. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

I did this 20 years ago and it sounds like selection processes haven't refined: "Are you available? Come over!"

Since I am British, they assumed I could teach football. A life of rugby hadn't prepared me for being run ragged by a bunch of ten year olds who had more skill in their left Diadoras than I did in my whole body.

As for the blatting away with the gatts, remember the principles of safety and use the process of Explanation, Demonstration, Imitation, Practice to get them efficient. 'Award' them the honour of moving the woeapons early on, show respect for the process and above all, enjoy yourself.

Having been RCO on small and large ranges, it really boils down to a process of actions and principles that need to be explained early on.

8. RezzaDue

Thanks for the informative post DavidBOC!

Although I do prefer the British system, after looking at the programs site and then doing some research I am thinking of of combining the two together.

I'm thinking of giving the description the way we do here, and then using the command words that they(septics - to be clear :) ) know and love in order for them to do as instructed.

That way im happy-ish, wont end up on the wrong end of the range and they will be happy that im teaching the correct syllabus.

How does that sound? :)

9. I think you'll find coaching is coaching... be that on a 25 yard range or a 2500m range.

10. RezzaDue

We did a fair bit of windage drills and sort, with Ballykinler being the perfect spot to practice those drills.
    All i ment was if wind had any large affect on the range i'll be working on, I better be in the middle of a tornado.

11. RezzaDue

Goldbricker, there was no way a was going to beast a kid!! It was just the technique, drills and phrasing i was going to impliment. The kind o place im at the shooting is going to be made fun and enjoyable, a beasting would be considered a slight talking to :)

12. Coaching isn't just the effects of wind though is it?

Pop around to your local ACF det/HQ or CTT and see if they can help out.

If you search Cadet SAA or similar a fair bit will come up.

13. RezzaDue

Thanks again everyone.

Just a bump to see f anyone else could give any more help.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yes read what David BOC has written and if you dont understand it PM him and if you still dont understand it then dont go!

• Like Like x 1