Cameron Vows To Protect Falkland Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16151992

David Cameron has accused Argentina of "colonialism" over the Falklands and warned Britain will continue to protect the islands' residents for as long as they want it to.

The Prime Minister was speaking a day after a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) which discussed the situation in the South Atlantic as the 30th anniversary of the 1982 conflict approaches.

He said he wanted to send a "strong message" about the islands, which the Argentinians refer to as the Malvinas, following months of escalating rhetoric from Buenos Aires.

Speaking at Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Cameron vowed to protect the islands' population and allow them to decide their own future.

More on the webpage :)

Harsh language?

Could be interesting - no way could we mount a Falklands Mk II.

Time to check the readiness of the carrier based Harriers .... erm... oh wait a minute...erm...

Apparently, it's not too long to pay day!

Time to check the readiness of the carrier based Harriers .... erm... oh wait a minute...erm...
Or we could use the four Typhoons based on the Islands and the fact that we could, if we so wished, deploy every Tiffy we own to the Islands inside a couple of days?

*stand by for someone to come back with some fantasy scenario of the Argies being able to get a team of commandos onto the Islands who are so superhuman they could manpack enough explosives to put a runway permanently out of use*

T

Tinman74

Why??? As we have a big **** off airbase with a couple of smart as carrots typhoons that can smash everything they throw at the falkland islands, that's if they get past conqueror redux!!

Maybe if we ask the septics -really- nicely we could borrow some back? Probably not much more bending over to be done than the usual.

Well I am one Septic who would cheerfully see a couple of CVN's with air wings sent to help our Hominy friends. Only problem would be if the Argies moved before we replace The Chosen One. (hopefully in 367 days from today). Obama would simply sit there with his thumb inserted.

(Yes, I am counting)

But... if the limited forces succumb, can this government, this country send a task force?
There are numerous threads on this subject - you could even try the search function supplied! :wink:

I recall there were quite a few news stories late last year about the Argies getting riled and various countries giving them support for questioning sovereignty. I also recall the internet army doing the usual jumping on these and dragging them well beyond reason. I particularly liked the idea that the US and China would swoop in and show us the door together.

Or we could use the four Typhoons based on the Islands and the fact that we could, if we so wished, deploy every Tiffy we own to the Islands inside a couple of days?

*stand by for someone to come back with some fantasy scenario of the Argies being able to get a team of commandos onto the Islands who are so superhuman they could manpack enough explosives to put a runway permanently out of use*
Some fantasy, the ORA sheds in reality are not NATO standard (due to penny pinching), as in hardened shelters, wouldn't take much to take out those four Typhoons. rambo the cat will be spinning in his grave!

Status
Not open for further replies.