Cameron Visits the Black Watch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by blonde_guy, May 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the BBC news yesterday I saw footage of Cameron at the Black Watch barracks.

Two soldiers, NCOs, were on parade in kilts & blue shirts. They had rifles, with bayonets fixed, on their shoulders, at the slope arms.

However rather than their left hand supporting the rifle butt, both soldiers were stood there with their right hands holding it up, as if they were saluting but with the left hand straight down their sides......what drill position is this?
  2. The my left arm is going to fall off position , Its in the drill manual honest :D
  3. But they were both stood there doing the same, looked odd with the right hand going over the body to hold the rifle onto the left shoulder!
  4. It's a drill movement called the JRMA-WATC

JRMA-WATC - Just Remind Me Again - Who are These Clowns?
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

"Cameron Visits the Black Watch"

There is a joke in there somewhere!

As for Blond Guy, there are loads of arcane drill movements that are knocked out occasionally.

My CSM at the Factory taught us a ton of them in prep for The Lord Mayors Parade, including Present Arms at the Quick March, Port Arms for Inspection at the Quick March etc etc.

Having said that I can't really visualise what you are trying to describe. Was the wpn at the slope or bolt upright in the present?
  6. It was at the slope....

So the rifle was rested on the left shoulder.

Except instead of the left arm being used to support it, the left arm was straight at their sides, clenched as if they were at attention.

Instead the right hand was reaching over and holding it there, as if they were starting a change arms or some such.....just with no left hand at all.
  7. Gremlin

It's definitely odd, so your best bet is to get an answer from a drill pig. It might be worth asking in the Inf forum with a better title like "Name This Strange Drill Movement", they aren't always the most cerebral chaps in The Foot Guards! :p
  8. I thought the Black Watch were now 3 Scots.
  9. Gremlin

Yes, yes they are.

The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland (3 SCOTS)