Cameron to Open thousands of Comprehensives

Wessex_Man said:
We have no need for mechanics, plumbers, electricians, builders, technician grade engineers, shop managers, cooks/ caterers, maintenance types, sales personnel, lab technicians, admin staff et al...?!

My school alone employs about 30 of the aforementioned types!

When I use the term "craft tradition" I'm referring to ethos/ training systems - rigorous, practically focused, but also demanding good basic educational attainment, esp in maths, English etc..
Even more bollcoks - joined up this time, I'll give you that. :lol:

I may be wrong but did'nt we have a hand in setting up the german education system after there defeat?]

ashie said:
Narnia said:
I passed my 11+ with ridiculous ease and went to a Grammar school. My brother failed his 11+ but was presented to a Public School which has been run as a charitable foundation since the 16th century. My mother didn't have 2 pennies to rub together, but the school means tests its fees to what the family can afford. She and my Grandparents instilled in both of us the desire to learn and to excel, why then shouldn't we have taken the chances offered to us?
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that there was no alternative but a Public School for your brother? Should people live close to a Pubic School be given a chance but not others?
People who don't live next to a public school (although a real public school will allow you to board, but I digress) should of course have the same opportunities, but this equality shouldn't be created by dragging everyone down to the level of the least privileged.

Narnia

Swinger
ashie said:
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that there was no alternative but a Public School for your brother? Should people live close to a Pubic School be given a chance but not others?
I was in no way suggesting that there was no alternative, there were the local comprehensive schools, however, my mother believed at the time that the public school was by far the better option. We also lived around 45 miles away from his school so hardly close, he boarded.

Narnia said:
ashie said:
I was in no way suggesting that there was no alternative, there were the local comprehensive schools, however, my mother believed at the time that the public school was by far the better option. We also lived around 45 miles away from his school so hardly close, he boarded.
So, if you can afford it......!

ashie said:
Narnia said:
ashie said:
"I passed my 11+ with ridiculous ease and went to a Grammar school. My brother failed his 11+ but was presented to a Public School which has been run as a charitable foundation since the 16th century. My mother didn't have 2 pennies to rub together, but the school means tests its fees to what the family can afford."

Did you actually read his post properly???? Or are you just an antagnostic type, Ashie ??

saintstone said:
ashie said:
Narnia said:
ashie said:
"I passed my 11+ with ridiculous ease and went to a Grammar school. My brother failed his 11+ but was presented to a Public School which has been run as a charitable foundation since the 16th century. My mother didn't have 2 pennies to rub together, but the school means tests its fees to what the family can afford."

Did you actually read his post properly???? Or are you just an antagnostic type, Ashie ??
I hope I'm not overly antagonistic. I think we've had a decent debate on this thread. But if you are not lucky enough to live in a certain catchment area or to be the recipient of largesse, then it's all down to money, isn't it?

Latest Threads