Cameron Stirs the Syrian Pot

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Sep 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Look at me being a big boy and posting in current affairs.

Cameron: 'The blood of Syrian children is stain on UN' - World Politics - World - The Independent

Caught this in the paper today on the way into work. Couldn't quite believe it. For one thing, I can't understand the need to talk smack regarding what's happening in Syria. It seems to be more complicated than our politicians are making it look. That aside, as atrocious as it is, can't we let them sort it on their own this time? Why do we need to get involved? Because it only ever seems to end with tragedy.

Cameron allegedly accused Russia and China of helping Syria wind up in this mess. Of course, this is a newspaper and it points out that he didn't specifically name them but the accusation surely still stands on a global-political understanding. It seems utterly daft that he'd have the balls to stand up and say that whilst he waffles and mumbles half-hearted apologies regarding incidents at home (chief whip situation, anyone?). He's pushing buttons and it seems very deliberate.

I'd quite happily rather leave Syria alone, keep our politicians at home and get our own affairs in order before we send our already diminished and under-strengthed armed forces into a dirty conflict as peacekeepers. Is this willy waving or is there something to be gained from calling Russia and China a couple of ******* then running away giggling?
  2. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Its far simpler than that. Cameron is preparing for the Conservative conference and wants to look like a proper grown up statesman, and thoroughly believes that being on Letterman and spouting shite at UN is going to make him into a statesman. Robert Mugabe and Idi Amin have both given speeches at UN so going there and grandstanding in itself is no assurance of credibility. Gen Gaddafi also made a speech there and made a bigger tit of himself than Cameron, if that were possible. I am sure that the UN translators know the word for "******" in every known language.

Cameron knows that the UN is a harmless place for him to pretend to be a useful politician and where he can spout all manner of tripe and nothing much will happen. If he said the same things as he did from the White House (Barry's place, not the pub) or from the Kremlin then I would take him seriously. However, I am sure that both Pres Obama and Pres Putin think of Cameron as a bit of a mong and have just given him a window to lick.

I usually like Letterman, but I could not watch Cameron on the show. The embarrassment would be too much. Its like going to a family celebration where you know that Auntie Mavis is going to get her tits out, despite being 84. Its far better to stay away.

I wholeheartedly apologise to any mongs who are upset by being compared to Mr Cameron. Names have been changed to protect the auntie.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Fundamentally true.

It just strikes me as lunacy. It also strikes me as being utterly pointless. Pointing out that he is trying to big himself up before the Tory conference, though, simplifies things rather than makes them more complicated. As soon as I read that sentence that creep of rotten familiarity appeared. "Oh, THAT'S what it is."

Why bother mentioning Syria? There have been hundreds of different international goings-on over the past 3-4 weeks, the least of which would be the rioting in Spain over austerity measures, and most of them are much more easily dealt with. He's failing to make an impact at all. He's also talking about military intervention as he strips down his own country's armed forces. What, really, is there to do in Syria other than use foreign soldiers as human shields to prevent rebels and government soldiers from killing each other.
  4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I had not thought about what Cameron could have done instead, which as you point out, Spain becoming economically unstable and the the EU lot trying to make themselves into a dictator state are far more pressing issues. I am cynical enough to believe that he is dodging those issues by going to the UN. I would have thought that Barroso spouting off about a largely unelected EU state which is going to decide what the UK does would have given him a strong enough position to storm the next election. I have to be careful about what news channels I view on my computer, and what the contents are, because I have lost too many monitors through illogical violence, but I seem to recall BBC news stating that the tories were floating the idea of a referendum regarding the EU. Havent we been this way before and nothing happened?

I am developing the opinion that Cameron is actually a sock puppet of Gideon Osborne. The cabinet arrangement of the previous weeks reeked of Osborne. I can fully imagine a conversation between George and David... "Go on David, make yourself popular by going on to a talk show, look what it did for Boris on Have I Got News For You and whilst you are there, make a speech in the UN to make them think you are not just a person who pulls strange faces trying to look serious. Remember that the US people hold you in high esteem. President Obama did say to me in private, "Thank God David is not as dangerous as that mentalist Gordon Brown"

5. Correctamundo.

Cameron is indulging in the Plan B when all else fails economically - Shout 'Take no notice of that man behind the failing economy curtain!!' while pointing furiously at 'evil doers' in sandy places.
  6. [​IMG]

"Look into the eyes, no don't look around the eyes, look into the eyes 3...2...1....your under, don't think about the economy, think about Syria, think about Syrian babies, don't think about us being dragged down by the failing Euro zone, think about Syria, don't think about your jobs, don't think about your taxes, it's all about Syria, our nations defence has never been so robust and we are laughing all the way to the bank and the national debt will take care of itself and that's all Syrias fault, think Syria....3....2....1....Click you're back in the room!"
    • Like Like x 2
  7. William Hague and Hilary Clinton are just as bad! Leave Syria be. Infact leave all internal conflicts within Countries be and let them get on with it. Survival of the fittest and all that! Albeit one side has the advantage of air power and armour...
  8. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Yeah and with his defence cuts it wouldn't be our Armed Forces!!