Cameron Speech

Office_Linebacker said:
On now, just did a big section on troops and Afgahn
Nothing new I fancy.

What's a "speach"?

Oh don't bother, I can see you have issues with grammar and spelling...

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
whitecity said:
What's a "speach"?

A kind of fruit.

Better than that he's getting rid of risk assessments and absurd CRB checks. I'll vote for anyone who reduces my bone paperwork by threefold!

I dont like the man but the speech is cracking. A good 5 minutes on the military, promises (yes I know!) on equipment and treatment of those who fight for us. And not just 2 sentences a-la Cyclops last week.

Sorry about my appalling grammar and spelling. I was tabbing between speech and ARRSE and hence it was a rushed post. Please do not sacrifice me to New Labour spelling gods.

Thought the speech itself was superb. Will post the Iplayer linky when it is up

BrunoNoMedals said:
whitecity said:
What's a "speach"?

A kind of fruit.
I think it's one of those genetically modified mongfruits. A Special peach.

Ah, how kind. Saves me walking over to the coatrack.

Axiom: don't believe politicians.

Another Axiom: Don't trust a russkie. Even a plastic one.

And if I remember my Sven Hassel:

Job tvoyemadje!

Bromhead said:
Better than that he's getting rid of risk assessments and absurd CRB checks. I'll vote for anyone who reduces my bone paperwork by threefold!
Excellent. I'm hoping to be accepted to help out with various local youth groups - Brownies, Guides, Cheerleaders etc. A decrease in paperwork will be most welcome.

Pete O'Phile

Themanwho said:
Another Axiom: Don't trust a russkie. Even a plastic one.

And if I remember my Sven Hassel:

Job tvoyemadje!
An excellent test to detect faked 'Russians'. Every native Russian speaker immediately would correct this (frequently used prase)

Yob tvoyu mat' = F.... your mother.

It is so frequently used that the phrase almost lost its initial meaning. Sometimes it is relatively soft expression of unsatisfaction.

Office_Linebacker said:
Sorry about my appalling grammar and spelling.
Don't worry. Dave himself quoted the president of the Spelling Society as saying that you can spell words any way you please.

Cameron is only one man and I doubt for a minute that in the short time he's been leader he's changed the Conservative Party from its old fundamentally schizophrenic self. They'll still be:

1) In favour of the traditional family unit but against the higher wages needed for ordinary families to survive on a single pay-packet.

2) In favour of solid community values but determined that there should be a flexible labour market, meaning people need to 'get on their bikes' every couple of years and move somewhere else in the search for work.

3) Wanting business-people to act responsibly, but at the same time have maximum freedom from regulatory interference which might stop them from doing bloody stupid things like investing in sub-prime mortgages.

And that's before anyone even mentions the 'E'-word.

Here's what he said...

"The reality of government is that difficulties come not in neat and predictable order, one by one and at regular intervals.

Difficulties come at you from all sides, one on top of the other, and you've got to be able to handle them all.

So amidst this financial crisis let us not forget that we are also a nation at war.

In Afghanistan today, our armed forces are defending our freedom and our way of life as surely and as bravely as any soldiers in our nation's history.

Let us be clear about why they are there: if we fail in our mission, the Taliban will come back.

And if the Taliban come back, the terrorist training camps come back…

That would mean more terrorists, more bombs and more slaughter on our streets.

That is why we back our troops' mission in Afghanistan one hundred per cent.

I've been to visit them every year since I've been doing this job.

Earlier this month, up the Helmand River in Sangin I met a soldier in the Royal Irish Regiment, Ranger Blaine Miller.

He'd just turned eighteen years old.

He was the youngest soldier there.

He's not much more than a boy and he's there in the forty-five degree heat, fighting a ferocious enemy on the other side of the world.

I told him that what he was doing was exceptional.

He told me he was just doing his job.

Every politician says it's the first duty of government is to protect our country, and of course that's right.

But today we are not protecting the people, like Blaine, who protect us - and that is wrong.

In Afghanistan, the number of our troops has almost doubled but the number of helicopters has hardly increased at all.

American soldiers start their rest and recuperation the day they arrive back home, our troops have to count the days they spend getting home.

We've got troops' families living in sub-standard homes; we've got soldiers going into harm's way without the equipment they need…

…we've got businesses in our country that instead of welcoming people in military uniform and honouring their service choose to turn them away and refuse them service.

That is all wrong and we are going to put it right.

We are going to stop sending young men to war without the equipment they need, we're going to stop treating our soldiers like second class citizens…

…we will do all it takes to keep our country safe and we will do all it takes to protect the heroes who risk everything for us.

And today there are a particular group of heroes that I have in mind.

They fought for us in the slit trenches of Burma…the jungles of Malaya…and the freezing cold of the Falklands.

Yesterday the courts ruled that gurkhas who want to come and live in Britain should be able to.

They risked their lives for us and now we must not turn our backs on them.

I say to the government: I know there are difficult questions about pensions and housing but let's find a way to make it work…

Do not appeal this ruling.

…let's give those brave gurkha soldiers who defended us the right to come and live in our country."

Well having watched the speech and seen the man in action I think he comes over as a future PM, as to policies he isn't going to trundle them out with nearly 2 years to go before the Election and this sets a scene for him to destroy the "no experience" attack. As to how HM Forces benefit there was certainly mention and a commitment to support now all they need to do is put Paddy Mercer in the Cabinet and I think the connection will be there between the politicos and HMF.

pimpernel said:
Well having watched the speech and seen the man in action I think he comes over as a future PM, as to policies he isn't going to trundle them out with nearly 2 years to go before the Election and this sets a scene for him to destroy the "no experience" attack. As to how HM Forces benefit there was certainly mention and a commitment to support now all they need to do is put Paddy Mercer in the Cabinet and I think the connection will be there between the politicos and HMF.
I agree that it's too early, but speaking for myself, no commitments - and I mean real numbers - no vote.

Latest Threads