Cameron proposes a rite of passage to adulthood at 18

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-2429449,00.html

TEENAGERS would pass through a formal “rite of passage”, marking the transition from childhood to adulthood, under plans being considered by the Conservatives.

The coming-of-age ceremony would be combined with increasing the age at which people can legally drive, marry and buy cigarettes to 18 years, to develop a more distinctive passage into adulthood.

But those who complete a course showing that they can be responsible would be able to enjoy the rights to adulthood at an earlier age.

David Cameron outlined the plans as he launched pilot courses run by the Young Adult Trust to help teenagers to learn about becoming adults.

The scheme, part of the Conservatives’ philosophy of encouraging responsibilities rather than just rights, is based on National Service and aimed at tackling youth alienation.

However, the Tory leader’s attempt to mark himself as the champion of the young, made at a youth centre in Brixton, was marred by a teenager who yelled at him: “You do not know your arse from your elbow, you b******.”
:twisted:

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mmmm, my understanding is that this will be a two-week course - I can see that changing all the attitudes and prejudices that have built up over the preceding eighteen years.

Taz_786 said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-2429449,00.html

[However, the Tory leader’s attempt to mark himself as the champion of the young, made at a youth centre in Brixton, was marred by a teenager who yelled at him: “You do not know your arse from your elbow, you b******.”
Find out who that teenager is and promote him - he has a fine grasp of reality, makes accurate assessments, and articulates them clearly and simply.

PAW

cpunk

LE
What should happen? Every teenager bites the head off a live chicken and then wanders naked in the desert for a week? Brilliant idea!

Would they be allowed to take their kids along to watch?

in theory yes some way of marking passage into adulthood would be good unfortunatly were not a small tribe.
conscription used to be the traditional way of making a man of you that won't becomeing back.
some bratt camp styllee in the beacons or scotland might work but budget cuts and health and safety making it a weekend of death by powerpoint :x

Ex_ex said:
Would they be allowed to take their kids along to watch?
<wipes weeabix off laptop>

I can see it now, we can turn all the kids from the Bronx into Debutantes. I wonder if they will get invites to all the other summer balls and the Henley Regatta et al.

I would love to know where the money and the resources are to do this for every 18 year old and I can see them all being well chuffed when they find out they have to wait another yr to drive legally.

Cameron is getting as bad as Tony for treating people as if they are stupid and will believe his crap. Well either that or he is as deluded as Tony and actually thinks it is doable.

I heard these are plans they're trying to get in through the back door.

If he's really going to be daring, why not put it back to age 21? Of course, I believe that one should have to pass an intelligence test before being allowed to vote.

As Jest265 notes, who is going to pay for this? or will the exam have an entrance fee? If they apply to be tested and fail, maybe there could be a penalty; say, a month of Community Service.

Yer man Cameron is making it very difficult to vote Conservative at the moment.

His argument re drinking was that you can have a beer in a pub with a meal if you are 16 but you are not allowed to purchase same until 18. He reckons send a 16 year old along for a 2 week stint and hey! he can get rat ar##d 2 years early legitimatley!

Wonder what that'll do to the drink culture? Who dreams up these stupid ideas - is the guy seriously trying to do for the Tories what Foot did for Labour? :roll:

I think it would be better if we send them off to fight insecteroids in the Alpha Galaxy like in Starship Troopers when you became a citizen after serving in the space forces.

Passed-over_Loggie said:
If he's really going to be daring, why not put it back to age 21? Of course, I believe that one should have to pass an intelligence test before being allowed to vote.
And drive, reproduce and to be allowed out in public unaccompanied.

cpunk said:
What should happen? Every teenager bites the head off a live chicken and then wanders naked in the desert for a week? Brilliant idea!
Obviously the nature of the ceremony would have to vary with the individual. For example:-

Teenager : Bite head off live chicken
Teen Chav : Bite head off live polar bear

Teen Boy : Ritual circumcision
Teen Dad : Ritual castration

Teen Girl : Swim with dolphins
Teen Chavette : Swim with pirannahs

Teen Soldier : Army service
Teen Waster : Funeral service