Cameron proposes a rite of passage to adulthood at 18

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-2429449,00.html

:twisted:

2. Sounds like a Bar Mitzvah to me.

3. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mmmm, my understanding is that this will be a two-week course - I can see that changing all the attitudes and prejudices that have built up over the preceding eighteen years.

4. Find out who that teenager is and promote him - he has a fine grasp of reality, makes accurate assessments, and articulates them clearly and simply.

PAW

5. I bet Labour must be splitting their sides.
    john
    Browns up and home with opposition like Camerroon

6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

What should happen? Every teenager bites the head off a live chicken and then wanders naked in the desert for a week? Brilliant idea!

7. Would they be allowed to take their kids along to watch?

8. hahahahaha

maybe it could be a two week course ending with a milling bout with every member of the P-Coy staff.

9. Will it involve a top shelf and the dance of the flaming arrseholes

:D

10. i think it potentially could be a good idea.

11. Circumcision-At least they wouldn't be complete pr1cks anymore!

12. in theory yes some way of marking passage into adulthood would be good unfortunatly were not a small tribe.
    conscription used to be the traditional way of making a man of you that won't becomeing back.
    some bratt camp styllee in the beacons or scotland might work but budget cuts and health and safety making it a weekend of death by powerpoint :x

13. <wipes weeabix off laptop>

I can see it now, we can turn all the kids from the Bronx into Debutantes. I wonder if they will get invites to all the other summer balls and the Henley Regatta et al.

I would love to know where the money and the resources are to do this for every 18 year old and I can see them all being well chuffed when they find out they have to wait another yr to drive legally.

Cameron is getting as bad as Tony for treating people as if they are stupid and will believe his crap. Well either that or he is as deluded as Tony and actually thinks it is doable.

14. I heard these are plans they're trying to get in through the back door.

15. If he's really going to be daring, why not put it back to age 21? Of course, I believe that one should have to pass an intelligence test before being allowed to vote.

As Jest265 notes, who is going to pay for this? or will the exam have an entrance fee? If they apply to be tested and fail, maybe there could be a penalty; say, a month of Community Service.

Yer man Cameron is making it very difficult to vote Conservative at the moment.