Cameron Pledges to Support Armed Forces

To be honest the Tories have not exactly been great to the Forces in the past, however, they have been much better than this Labour lot, and there are at least some members of the Tory front bench to have served a day in Uniform/with the Uniform services. Most of Labour spent their youth campaigning against the Armed Forces in the CND.

To be honest, I think Labour's problem was that most of them were former left wing activists who had absolutely jack sh*t in common with the armed forces and thus, no empathy with them - which is particularly perverse since most Toms come from low income families who might have traditionally supported Labour.

If I remember right, we had a very tasty pay rise when Thatcher got in.

smilk15 said:
To be honest the Tories have not exactly been great to the Forces in the past, however, they have been much better than this Labour lot, and there are at least some members of the Tory front bench to have served a day in Uniform/with the Uniform services. Most of Labour spent their youth campaigning against the Armed Forces in the CND.
It could be worse than that I heard a rumour but just a rumour so I won't state it as fact that Bob Ainsworth was an IRA symthesiser when he was at Uni.
I'm not saying he has any malicious intent towards the armed forces but it would show how far detached Labour are from them.

Not a single mention of the MOD CS in this - its a shame that there seems to be no recognition for the work that a lot of the MOD do in support of the armed forces.

well thats his best first port of call in the publics eye and he is going on the win hearts and minds offensive first ah,cant do any worse than hippy tree hugging labours as they were lol

well the old tree hugging hippys will never labour will never really support the british forces, just be seen to be doing something,if labour had there way they would just leave our lads out there and forget us

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Tastytoggle said:
If I remember right, we had a very tasty pay rise when Thatcher got in.
It was 8%

And traditionally, at least one member of the cabinet was ex-military or ex-cival servant working with the military. Unlike Blair and Brown's cabinet.

P

PR_Totty

Tory HQ are ARRSE fanatics - their Defence researcher and new media team are all over the forum like a cheap suit! They are the only party out of three parties that have engaged with us and that was initiated by the Tories not by us.

When Cpunk and I visited ARRSE HQ we were treated like celebs, which was weird but very flattering. Considering we are just old bloaters - well Cpunk is, I am obviously Joanna Lumley :D

F

fozzy

PR_Totty said:
Tory HQ are ARRSE fanatics - their Defence researcher and new media team are all over the forum like a cheap suit! They are the only party out of three parties that have engaged with us and that was initiated by the Tories not by us.

When Cpunk and I visited ARRSE HQ we were treated like celebs, which was weird but very flattering. Considering we are just old bloaters - well Cpunk is, I am obviously Joanna Lumley :D
Well I just hope that they are making the most of the free consultancy - especially in the Trident debate.

IIRC Thatcher's 50p per week rise was somewhat eaten up by the £1 per week rise in food & accommodation!
Politicians are all the same, promise you all sorts & then shi£ on you when they don't need you. Always been the same, always will...

Mr_Wreckit said:
IIRC Thatcher's 50p per week rise was somewhat eaten up by the £1 per week rise in food & accommodation!
Politicians are all the same, promise you all sorts & then shi£ on you when they don't need you. Always been the same, always will...
It may have been in the Army you were in but 1979 saw a hefty pay rise for all ranks. I was certainly a lot better off!

Abdiel said:
smilk15 said:
It could be worse than that I heard a rumour but just a rumour so I won't state it as fact that Bob Ainsworth was an IRA symthesiser when he was at Uni.
I'm not saying he has any malicious intent towards the armed forces but it would show how far detached Labour are from them.
Yep, and Claire Short wasn't exactly shy in her support of the IRA either.

rickshaw-major said:
Mr_Wreckit said:
It may have been in the Army you were in but 1979 saw a hefty pay rise for all ranks. I was certainly a lot better off!
Remember those days well, and added to LOA it were great!

Latest Threads