• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Cameron orders every state school to visit the trenches.

It would be nice to think some of the money could be spent teaching some perspective, and put across the message that this war was a shining example of the ability ofthe British Army to adapt to technological change and expansion at an unparalelled rate, and turn into probably the worlds finest army by 1918. It would also be good to end the myths of lions led by donkeys and to put the reputation of the generals, particularly Haig et al on the pinnacle for which they deserve.
I believe society owes the senior staff officers of the Army a massive debt, and an apology for the way that they have been unfairly maligned.

I can't help but thinking our glorious leaders put their brains in kennel for conference season.

Perhaps we should start a book on what piece of pointless one-upmanship that'll never see the light of practice will be trotted out next?

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

It's a job creation scheme for our unwashed Gallic and Phlegmish chums, we fill their shabby run down and damp hotels with jailbait, in return they promise to eat cheesy chips and a Ginsters pie once a week.

Do you think a price of £50 million sheets represents good value to educate our school children about trench warfare?

Will this make a positive difference to our society ?

A new generation WILL remember them – #casualsunited #edl #evf #sdl #nwi #worldwar #poppy | Skittles Truth UK Blog
Would be cheaper to dig a couple of miles of trench and make the little darlings sit in it (without tv/faceache/maccyDs etc) for a couple of weeks.

Might give them a bit of perspective on the whole thing?

Would be cheaper to dig a couple of miles of trench and make the little darlings sit in it (without tv/faceache/maccyDs etc) for a couple of weeks.

Might give them a bit of perspective on the whole thing?
We could just change a few roadsigns and send the bright eyed little darlings to Hartlepool, when the wind blows from Seal Sands they'll know all about sulphur mustard!

Do you think a price of £50 million sheets represents good value to educate our school children about trench warfare?

Will this make a positive difference to our society ?

A new generation WILL remember them – #casualsunited #edl #evf #sdl #nwi #worldwar #poppy | Skittles Truth UK Blog
I think better a visit to at least the national arboretum but better a war cemetery, bigger the better. And if there is anyway to make sure it doesn't turn into a circus, they should all visit a rehabilitation centre. I can't see how that last one would work though.

I can't help feeling that the 'education' will be of the modern approach;

Imagine you are a soldier on the western front, how do you think you would feel about the emancipation of women? Or
You are in the trenches, how do you feel about the news of a new weapon called gas?

Visiting a local cemetary, and seeing some of the CWGC graves puts the whole thing into a more relevant state, seeing a headstone of a teenager, still wets my eyes.

Imagine you are a soldier on the western front, how do you think you would feel about the emancipation of women? Or
You are in the trenches, how do you feel about the news of a new weapon called gas?

Visiting a local cemetary, and seeing some of the CWGC graves puts the whole thing into a more relevant state, seeing a headstone of a teenager, still wets my eyes.
Silly boy! Where's the green angle?

'Imagine you are in a trench. What effect do you think the releasing of 10 million ft/3 of gas had on the polar bears on Jan Mayan Island? Please explain how it would make you feel and your emotions such as sadness.'

Just seeing the white stones gets me going mate, don't have to read them or know who's there

There are several points about this announcement.

1. The sum of £50m is an estimate for for every commemoration. Apart from the announced £5.3m m on education seems to be almost all for UK based projects. Most of the money is from the Heritage lottery which can only be spent in the UK.

2. Taking 2 students and one teacher from each state secondary school is a total of C. 8k students and 4k teachers. That sounds a lot over the period 2014-18, except that the British Army used to take about 10-12k recruits to overseas battlefields every year from 2002 ish until 2010. The sum of £5.3 million looks high to take 2 students from each school to the battlefields of the Great War - even if some of them might include places in Italy, Iraq and Israel. Foreign travel for all involved including education ministers and other hangers on can't really cost more than 3m and the rest is for consultants to re spin the history curriculum.

3. The National Curriculum already includes WW1 in Key Stage 3 History. It covers the Schlieffen Plan, trench warfare, and developing technology. I very much doubt that two students in avery state school is going to add a huge amount to anything. It seems jolly good to hear that there will be a re-emphasis on the Great War and history, buit where will this fit into the curriculum? History is only a very small part of the curriculum thanks to a big emphasis on the 3Rs. An increasing number of schools don't teach history as a separate subject - they do humanities.

Personally I think more should be done abroad on the battlefields themselves, rather than having a "national moment" around the local war memorial. The men who died are buried overseas There should be a programme of national Pilgrimage, enabling local communities to make the link between the men on their memorials and the places where they fought and fell, and the communities whose freedom was secured through their sacrifice. Heroes Return 2 used £25m of lottery money. Sending token ambassadors of school children is not the same.

In my opinion part one reason to base commemorations at home, is to avoid contact with European governments who might regard the Great War as the birth place of what lead to the EU. ;)

Latest Threads