Cameron offering more powers to Scotland

I do think that Scotland stands little chance of being governed well within the UK as it currently stands. That other parts might be equally shoddily dealt with is no reason for us to remain shackled to a rotting corpse.

Do you think it will be governed better by the SNP in what will effectively be a one party state for quite a few years if independence happens?
One of my great concerns is that should Scotland become independent it will effectively be Salmonds own personal kingdom for a long time. I don't believe that will serve Scotland very well.
I fully agree that Westminster has governed terribly badly, for an awful long time. Where I differ is that I believe that this country can only be improved by all of us within the UK demanding it. I don't believe that Scotland alone will be strong enough to make itself the better country the nationalists think it can be.
Particularly as the SNP are hitching their wagon firmly to the EU, I strongly believe that Scotland has potential to do far better for itself as part of the UK, part of the EU then it will little stronger than Ireland or Portugal. Within the UK Scotland (and the UK as a whole) are much stronger.
England and Scotland might argue and bicker but at least the arguments are listened too, Scotland won't get much say when its under the umbrella of the EU

One of the main failings in your thoughts Jag is that as you say, we have a small populace in relation to the rest of the UK. That means that politicians will do what gets them most votes, i.e. to please the South East of England. We get left behind. Many of the issues that affect Scotland are unique within the UK, transportation and infrastructure has been left in a poor state for far too long. Look at the 'arterial route' between Inverness and the South, the A9. In the 21 century its still not even a full dual carriageway, never mind a motorway. How are manufactures supposed to compete with the massively increased transportation cost as compared to down South. Look at the postal and courier service. The prices quoted by companies down south bear no relationship to the reality of cost. I find that it is often easier and cheaper to purchase from the States than it is from England. Also, delivery is always quicker.

Many of Scotland’s problems would and have been washed over for issues that gets votes down South. Independence would force politicians to deal with these issues and that, is the way a lot of folk think.

Do you think it will be governed better by the SNP in what will effectively be a one party state for quite a few years if independence happens?
Their track record so far points to them being rather better at it than any of their predecessors, so I’m willing to give them a go. I also realise that the SNP is a gateway party containing people like me who don’t agree with all their policies and who’ll vote for someone else after independence.

I very much doubt that Scotland will be a one-party state. The unionist parties north of the border are separate entities from their southern compatriots and I can’t see why they’d miraculously cease to exist after independence. We might even see new, more reflective and representative parties emerging once Labours stranglehold on the Central Belt is broken – we’re already seeing revolt in Glasgow city council and if that pack of apparatchiks are prepared to kick against the prick (pun entirely intended) I don’t think we can assume it will be NSTR in the future.

I fully agree that Westminster has governed terribly badly, for an awful long time. Where I differ is that I believe that this country can only be improved by all of us within the UK demanding it. I don't believe that Scotland alone will be strong enough to make itself the better country the nationalists think it can be.
If I believed that, I’d probably be in favour of retaining the Union. I don’t believe it’s possible because different parts of the UK have different needs and drivers. There are too many different priorities, all of which are subsumed under a narrow set of interests and no UK party has an interest in changing that.

Particularly as the SNP are hitching their wagon firmly to the EU, I strongly believe that Scotland has potential to do far better for itself as part of the UK, part of the EU then it will little stronger than Ireland or Portugal. Within the UK Scotland (and the UK as a whole) are much stronger.
England and Scotland might argue and bicker but at least the arguments are listened too, Scotland won't get much say when its under the umbrella of the EU
Policies change. A vote for independence isn’t a guarantee that the SNP will continue to attract votes afterwards. They’ll adapt their policies or be replaced by a party that commands a majority.

Scottish train spotters fighting their way into a local Tennent's brewery.

A question; do you think Singapore would be where it is now if it were not for a very strong leader with vision and the drive to execute it?

One of my great concerns is that should Scotland become independent it will effectively be Salmonds own personal kingdom for a long time. I don't believe that will serve Scotland very well.
How will it be a one party state? We also have Tory, Labour, LibDems & Green MSPs sitting in the Scots Parliament.

If Scotland did get Independence how much of the billions in Nation Debt would they take on?....

Depends on who you believe: anywhere between £60 and £200 Bn

Would the currency they use be know as the 'Jock'?....

Il McDuce has stated he wants to keep the £.

At the outset Scotland would have to apply to join the EU and until they joined they would be a non EU Nation.So where will the Border crossings be?..

Who says theyt won't be part of the EU and therefore wouldn't have to apply to be part of the EU? Why would there be a border crossing? Do you go through a border crossing between Germany and France?

Would the Scots need a passport to enter England?...

Why would you need a passport to go between Scotland and England?

Would Scots have to pass through customs when entering the UK?..

Why would they have to if there is no border crossing?

What would happen if they reclaimed Berwick upon Tweed?..

Why would they claim Berwick when it is in England?

Would Scottish MPs still be allowed to fill Labours back benches in the Commons?..

Why would they if they were no longer part of the UK?

What would happen to the Scottish Bishops and Lords in the 'other place'?...

See above.

Would we UK citizens have to pay import duty on our fave Whisky?..

Probably as you are importing it.

Just a few questions that have been bothering a bit.........

Also what would the Union Flag look like and the Royal Standard?......

That would be up to the rUK to work out

I wonder if Alex has mulled on these few points?......

Probably
Hope this helps

Might I also suggest that those who fail to appreciate the various sensibilities up here, to think about how they would feel if England had been invaded and conquered in 1940. Would you be so keen some years later to leave the conquerors and their stool puppets in control or would you wish to have your own free politicians control your destiny?
The Irish and Welsh were invaded and conquered. The Scots were bought and got a pretty good deal out of it, far better than anyone in Europe in 1940 was getting. With the number of Scottish PM's and MPs they've had Scotlands hardly been a vassal state and has plenty to say in controlling its destiny within the UK.
Still if 50.1% of Scots think they'll get a better deal going their own way good luck to them. Personally think its the wrong choice but its theirs to make not mine.

A question; do you think Singapore would be where it is now if it were not for a very strong leader with vision and the drive to execute it?
Well its always been on the end of the Malayan Peninsula so i suppose so......oh, did I misunderstand the question?