Cameron offering more powers to Scotland

BBC News - Scottish independence: David Cameron in referendum offer

I do find it amusing.

"I'm very prepared. I believe in devolution, and I don't just mean devolution in terms of power, I mean devolution in terms of giving people greater control over their own lives" says Mr C. Really?

So Mr C is...

Happy for devolution (take that with a pinch of salt)
Happy to give more power to Scottish government

but not happy to allow Scottish people to make up their own mind on whether they want more power??

I suppose it is a way of trying to remove the argument over the second question from the ballet box and get the thrust of the future discussion on a pure independence question but it does seem to be a sop.

SNP to come back with "how much power to be devolved..." question shortly. Second question again surely........ :)

BBC News - Scottish independence: David Cameron in referendum offer

I do find it amusing.

"I'm very prepared. I believe in devolution, and I don't just mean devolution in terms of power, I mean devolution in terms of giving people greater control over their own lives" says Mr C. Really?

So Mr C is...

Happy for devolution (take that with a pinch of salt)
Happy to give more power to Scottish government

but not happy to allow Scottish people to make up their own mind on whether they want more power??

I suppose it is a way of trying to remove the argument over the second question from the ballet box and get the thrust of the future discussion on a pure independence question but it does seem to be a sop.

SNP to come back with "how much power to be devolved..." question shortly. Second question again surely........ :)

If you were that clever,you would realise how ****ing stupid your comment was.

He's never said " he's not happy to allow Scottish people to make up their own mind on whether they want more power" but,he has said he's not happy about the SNP wanting to end the union,subtle difference,don't you think?

I think if you could read, you might make another comment.

Cameron has said that he will not support the inclusion of the alternatively named second or devo max question.

He has said he will look at giving more powers to Scotland but only if they vote No to a single question.

SNP want to offer the Scottish people a second question requiring more power; Cameron says, on my judgement and gift only.

How is that giving the Scots and opportunity to self determine what powers they want? The only reason he doesn't want the question set is he knows he will lose it.

Supporting devolution? ****ing stupid statement, eh?

The bloke is an amateur compared to Salmand who is a seasoned politician. All he should have stuck to was vote Yes or No - end of. Instead the k##b then complicates matters by saying if you vote No I'll give you more sweeties, opening the gambit for Salmand to get more powers funded by UK which is what he wanted all along!

Dave, say nothing, nothing at all, let those people north of the wall decide for themselves, if it goes right then fair do,s, if it goes T.U then they,ve only Salmond and themselves to blame....or "Leave them alone,
and the will come home,
wagging their Sporrans behind them."
with apols to Little Bo Peep.

Bugger me - two more years of this!
Tis only the start!

If Salmond gets a vote for independence, then they will be winging for more money from the English.

If Salmond loses a vote for independence, then they will be winging that they was robbed, and can they have some more money from the English.

More devolution of powers will lead to winging for more money from the English.

B

Biscuits_AB

Tis only the start!

If Salmond gets a vote for independence, then they will be winging for more money from the English.

If Salmond loses a vote for independence, then they will be winging that they was robbed, and can they have some more money from the English.

More devolution of powers will lead to winging for more money from the English.
Cheers easy!

For those who have little insight into Scots politics, dare I suggest that the best thing Cameron could do is keep quite. The more he talks the more he walks into Wee ecks palm. Remember the Scots have no love for the Conservatives so, the more they lecture us the more likely that people vote against them. Almost impossible for a politician to keep quite though..........

For those who have little insight into Scots politics, dare I suggest that the best thing Cameron could do is keep quite. The more he talks the more he walks into Wee ecks palm. Remember the Scots have no love for the Conservatives so, the more they lecture us the more likely that people vote against them. Almost impossible for a politician to keep quite though..........
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Very hard for any British Prime Minister to get it right in the mire of Scottish politics.

He has said he will look at giving more powers to Scotland but only if they vote No to a single question.

Is Scotland one of our colonies?

Cameron offering more powers to Scotland.

To me, this has only confirmed that Cameron is absolutely desperate to prevent Scottish independence.

Speaking to a Scottish friend of mine about this yesterday his view was that apart from Alex Salmond being a twat (and that was the kindest thing that he said about him in a spectacular five-minute rant), was that Salmond would lose a pure independence referendum conclusively; therefore, both Salmond and Cameron are jockeying for position and that they probably both want the same thing but for different reasons. To him, at least, it smelt of a stitch-up.

I hear that they are considering letting the Scots expand their catering equipment beyond the current restriction to the universal deep fat fryer.

Speaking to a Scottish friend of mine about this yesterday his view was that apart from Alex Salmond being a twat (and that was the kindest thing that he said about him in a spectacular five-minute rant), was that Salmond would lose a pure independence referendum conclusively; therefore, both Salmond and Cameron are jockeying for position and that they probably both want the same thing but for different reasons. To him, at least, it smelt of a stitch-up.
To be honest, I am not so convinced that wee eck would be roundly defeated. Whilst a lot of folk are not to keen on total separation, they dislike being patronised and spoken down to even more. I have heard a lot of younger folk say that separation would be their choice. However, every time a politician from south of the border says he/she is against separation people are asking why? What is it that they truly want, after all they keep telling us that we cost the rest of the UK a fortune. Methinks the lady protest too much.

Cameron can't really win can he? On a party political level he'd probably love Scottish independence as, based on current voting patterns, it'd make it pretty hard for Labour and the Liberals to ever challenge the Conservatives especially with the new boundaries coming in.
On the other hand should the Scots do well for themselves it could well lead to the Welsh, Cornish etc deciding they fancy a bit of independence themselves, which for a party thats supposed to support the Union would be a bit awkard and I can't see Cameron wanting to be the PM who let the UK fall apart.
So he's attempting, admittedly a bit cackhandedly, to offer a middle way which seems to be a federalist approach which by giving the Scots (and then probably the Welsh and Northern Irish) the powers to raise some taxes in order to fund their own localised policies whilst keeping them as part of the Union and under Westminster for foreign affairs and defence. Seems to be the best of both worlds as it would allow the Scots to do what they want at home without the risk of going it completely alone.

If Cameron were to play clever, that is to sit back and let the others bicker about detail he has the potential to do reasonably well out of it. To be honest, politically he has little to lose in Scotland as the Conservatives have been dead in the water for years. However, to come up and tell us he will increase Scots parliamentary powers if we vote no but then fail to give us the details of these increased powers, strikes me as a rather cack handed way of dealing with the whole issue. The 'If you are nice children, I will give you a reward' approach is going to drive more people away from the direction Cameron wants them to go!
Whilst many down South think of the Scots voter in a Rab C Nesbit mindset, the voter up here has shown himself to be a canny beast. I believe that a lot less folk up here vote on 'tribal' allegiances then in England. What might also surprise many down South is the amount of their kinsfolk now living in Scotland who are pro independence, in some cases being much more aggressive about it than the Scots themselves. Its a funny old world!