Cameron in Afghan visit to troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Countryman, Sep 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News

2. Cameron is a nobody; why does he feel he need to visit the troops! "Hi there, I'm David Cameron, I'm not the Prime Minister and I have no say in anything"!!

He also went out to Gorgia, why? What could he possibly achieve in Gorgia? He has no place in international politics!

What a tosser!

G82

3. If Labour continues on its fall from grace, who do you think is most likely to be our next PM?

4. Wouldn't it be better if all these bloody politicians just left the lads alone to get on with more important stuff, like washing their socks or gonking? There surely must be a photo-op with some Z-list celebs going begging somewhere in blighty?

5. Don't forget, he is also a MP and as leader of the opposition he should be out and seeing for himself what is important. In this way he can ensure he is best placed to challenge the governement of the day, all part of the democratic process.

6. msr

msr LE

I would rather the politicians heard it from the horse's mouth than via the MOD spin machine.

msr

7. Seconded. Irrespective of what you think, it is really incumbent upon him to learn the background to the most important things - what's better, a future PM who gives a sh1t or one that does not? For my money, the way to go about this is quietly, no cameras and listen. I always get uncomfortable when the cameras are out for politicians, it makes everyone highly suspicious of their motives even if they are entirely honourable.

8. Well we shall see if he uses it as a chance to learn the truth or it is just another photo oppertunity, at least with Hauge there also he might come back with some hard questions for PMQ's with One Eye.

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

He'd learn more by surfing arrse for an hour, and it would be much cheaper for the taxpayer than flying all that way to meet carefully-selected members of the military.

10. Cameron on leave:

The PA

11. Even if he is a smug git, we'd only be complaining if he WASN'T going out there and doing what he is.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

But, considering he is most likely going to be the next PM short of a Labour miracle or Tory tragedy, then I'm glad he's getting himself organised properly and making policy promises we can hold him to later.

12. But is the sheer quantity of these visits necessary? Why not just send one bod per party - the Defence spokesman OR the leader. Not both plus the odd MP plus various Ministers plus Shadow Ministers plus Secretaries of State and Uncle Tom Cobbleigh.

13. Good on him.

He better count his fingers after visiting the Argyl and Bolton Wanderers though.

14. It would perhaps look better if he took Patrick Mercer with him on his visit, rather than Hague - someone who knows a little about soldiering, rather than one who has spent his adult life in politics. This might give him more credibility with the troops he's visiting. Just a thought.

15. I'm outraged, the leader of the opposition having the temerity to go to an operational theatre. Why can't they leave the lads alone to get on with the job, bringing their publicity machines with them.

Mind you, there's one thing that really gets my goat, and that's politicians not getting out into the field with the blokes to find out what's really going on, and get a feel for the situation themselves (as far as possible). Now that would really outrage me.

Hang on...