Cameron - I will double the umber of C-IED Teams

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldSnowy, Jun 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

PM today in Kabul is reported (no actual quotes available yet, so poss some caution required) as saying:

Speaking alongside Mr Karzai at his presidential palace, Mr Cameron said the number of British teams dealing with IEDs will be doubled.

Also:
    However he ruled out sending further reinforcements. "The issue of more troops is not remotely on the UK agenda," said the Prime Minister.

A simple question for the ARRSE Experts:
    Where the hell are these extra C-IED Teams coming from? Given no uplift in numbers, it will mean less Troops somewhere else on the ground, whatever happens.

2. Nip down to the stores an open another box of Ammo Techs, I mean come on they are RLC so they must have a store full of them somewhere...

3. They are coming from nowhere soon!

4. But he's the PM, he must be correct!

5. I've always said, "you can never have too much umber".

6. No problem. I'm sure there are ten in-date spare high threat operators who have been sitting around twiddling their thumbs for years now. Just stick 'em on a plane. And in six months time I'm sure another 20 will be ready to take over..... Only takes 5 minutes to train ATs and ATOs doesn't it?. :cry: Like when Brown announced he was sending "another 200" to join the JEOD unit.... carefully avoiding the fact that the 200 they were replacing were coming home. Smoke and mirrors from politicians whatever the flavour.

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Great sentiment but bugger all substance. We've already had SATO resign over this. As people say, this expertise doesn't grow on trees and takes a long time to develop.

Shame someone didn't brief him correctly before he made the statement.

8. it is not bodies it is money

David Cameron has announced more money for tackling the threat of roadside bombs in Afganistan, during his first visit to the country as prime minister.

9. Hypothetical answer.

Assume ENDEX of Op Herrick is pencilled in for Spring 2012. Last 2 roulements could be boosted with HT teams by bringing forward deployment of teams previously assumed to be going out later. :wink:

10. [quote="snozzer]Nip down to the stores an open another box of Ammo Techs, I mean come on they are RLC so they must have a store full of them somewhere...[/quote]

My SQ always said stores is for storing, if it was for issuing it would be called issues :D

11. PATO not SATO.

12. http://www.the-daily-politics.com/news/36-militarynews/1655-losses-in-sangin-

More IED operators is obviously a good thing. But Surely the tactics described in the article above (which needs more troops on the ground, something Cameron has refused to send) is a good solution?? Stopping them planting the IEDs in the first place, or just flying over them in helicopters is the best solution.

13. C-IED teams are not IEDD teams. Which is he talking about - does he even know?

14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Wrong - it is both. This from the Downing St Website:

"My biggest duty as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is to our armed forces and to make sure that they have all the equipment and all of the protection that they need to do the absolutely vital job that they are doing here in Afghanistan. I’m pleased to announce today that we will be spending an extra £67 million on countering the IED threat and actually doubling the number of British teams that are there to counter the threat from those explosive devices."

Linky: http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/topstorynews/2010/06/pm-pledges-extra-67-million-to-counter-ieds-51567

He's promised, on an international stage, to double the number of Teams. I suppose he could reduce each team to two men and a prodder, but we will see...

15. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

You're quite correct. My apologies for the inaccuracy and thanks for the correction