Cameron Highlanders far east WWII

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Fusilier5039, Apr 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening gentlemen,

just been talking to Mrs 5039 & shes just came across her grandfathers regimental details in her late fathers possessions. It turns out he was in the far east with the Camerons, the vague information we have ( Although his reg'l number etc is to hand ) he was taken prisoner, we know he worked on the railway, but we dont know what Bn he was with etc, any gurus out there can enlightnen us as to where he probably was?

2. Don't know if this will help found this while going through the new Para Data site.

The 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion was formed from the 7th Battalion the Cameron Highlanders in May 1942 and became part of the 2nd Parachute Brigade.

It fought in North Africa and Italy in 1942-3, remaining behind in Italy with the re-designated 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade. It operated as line infantry in Italy, jumped into Southern France in August 1944 and was part of the Athens occupation force in the winter of 1944-5.

After the war it served with the 6th Airborne Division in Palestine until it was disbanded in 1948. With the formation of the 16th Independent Parachute Brigade Group in 1948 the 5th 9Scottish) Battalion was re-designated 2 PARA in July.
  3. Only 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders served in the Far East (Burma 30/3/44-25/4/45)

Was he perhaps in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)?
  4. Thanks for the update , but I know the guy was taken as a POW & iirc her dad mentioned Singapore, so I presume that he was taken there, & spent most of the war on the Death railway..til liberation then apparently refused transport home so he could help to finish what he started!"

Appreicate your efforts T4
  5. According to the Malaya Command orbat, only the Gordons & Argylls were the only Scottish btns present.
  6. hmm interesting Tiger, cheers.
    Apparently he was always very complimentary about the Gurkhas, dont know what what role he may have performed to have been involved with them but this has given me something to get my teeth into, thanks for the replys guys
  7. 1 Cameronians went from India to Burma in Feb 1942 then back again, so there was plenty of scope to be captured. The reconstituted battalion returned to Burma as Chindits in 1944.
    If there is any doubt about his regiment, someone here might be able to confirm it from his number.
  8. However if you look up the 14th Army orbat the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders come under the 5th Brigade. Not to be mistaken with the Cameronians as someone posted earlier.

9. Ill grab the number this wekend, if anyone can help then id be grateful, the Mrs is quite intruiged to know what the owld fella done
  10. Sorry, my bad, didnt realise there were 2 separate regiments :oops:
  11. Regimental Headquarters of The Highlanders are located at Cameron Barracks, Inverness with a smaller RHQ at Viewfield Road, Aberdeen. There is a Queen's Own Highlanders Museum at Fort George, Ardersier and the Gordons Museum is at St Luke's, Viewfield Road, Aberdeen.
  12. 1 QO Cameron Highlanders only went into Burma in 1944. My gut feeling is that it's unlikely any of them would have ended up on the railway if they'd been captured.

It's not clear if this post covers the Second World War but it might be a start:
    Cameron Highlanders 2921001 - 2966000
    Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 3233001 - 3299000
  13. If he turns out to be Queens Own Cameron Highlanders send me a PM, as I'm writing currently writing a dissertation on the 2nd British Division which contained the QOCH so I've got quite alot of info on their movements.
  14. Hi guys sorry about the tawdriness in replying, haven't managed to get the regt'l number yet, it has been sent away for insurance purposes..I will up date with the necessary as soon as we are back in posession

edited to add my thanks to those who replyed, cheers
  15. Just returned from Thailand and visited Kanchanaburi(the bridge site) also travelled to Hellfire Pass. Absolutely humbling to see what those guys went through.

I would suggest reading "The Colonel Of Tamarkan" This is the true story of the real Col Bogey, who was also captured at Singapore. The book gives an accurate portrayal of life in those railway camps, and describes in detail how Col Phil Toosey, an old school TA officer, with a deep sense of service to his men, battled against the Jap system to keep his men alive. Incidently many of the A & S captured in Singapore were under his command in the camps.