Cameron: English Votes on English Issues

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a Scot and I'd be happy with this idea - why the hell they currently vote on English policies I don't know - as long as this doesn't stop people from outside Engerland becoming PM that is!
  2. I think the current situation is a disgrace.

You have MP's deciding issues without having any constituents that lobby them on those issues, which is not democratic. The Scottish voters are not going to lobby their Scottish MP about an English issue that the MP is voting on. So the Scottish MP is making a decision purely on his or her own beliefs, how can that be democracy.

3. Another Scot supporting this idea, SNP and conservative already voluntarily stand down on England only issues, Labour don't.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm glad that Cameron has finally grown enough of a set to state what is basically the wish of everyone in England who votes, and not a few Scots either. SOMEONE had to sort this out, and Labliar, relying on their ever-more parlous status north of the border didn't have the nuts to sort it out - it WAS their fault after all.
  5. Fine but I'd rather this devolution business was reversed and we become a proper UK again.
  6. About time too-this shamelessly hypocritical situation has existed for far too long where the Scottish MPs have had the ability to force through controversial legislation which does not even affect their own constituents,whereas English MPs have no retrospective rights.I thoroughly agree with David Cameron on this one,one of the most blatant injustices to be foisted on our Parliament in years,and one which,if he honours this pledge,will earn him a lot of support which he will need if he wins the next General Election.
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As an Anglo-Scot I'd say about time to.
  8. ..and next he needs to start to equalize the amount of cash per head which is spent. The Barnett Formula gives NI, Scotland and Wales a degree of funding beyond what is given to the English voter. The figures for 06/07 - most recent I can readily find are: in actual monetary figures, work out as (per person):
    England £7,121; Scotland £8,623; Wales £8,139; Northern Ireland £9,385.
    Add to this, the insult that the English raised tuition fees are taken as a UK wide tax and the proceeds are thereby given to Scotland.
  9. There is a very good reason why Scottish Labour MPs don't stand down on government votes at Westminster...38 very good reasons in fact!
  10. What's the betting that this will be in the labliars agenda during the run up to the next election. Another policy that they will try and fob off as their own. cnuts.
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

2 Problems with that: Firstly the London government has not run Scotland in such a way as it could be expected to stand on its own feet. They have used emigration as an economic tool rather that economic growth. Yes I know Scotland now has its own government but it is dealing with a legacy...

Secondly. Scots pay more income tax on average and contribute more to the UK economy - its just that they don't live in Scotland.
  12. :rofl:
  13. Personally I'd prefer us to go back to being under one Government, rather than split the union further. :(

Where will it end? Will the North of England want it's own parliament, then Cornwall? How about Skye, and all the other smaller islands around the British Isles?

It seems insane :slow: to me that successive Governments are trying to bring us under unelected governance at Brussels, while at the same time dividing the country into smaller piece's.

It makes me wonder if that's part of their overall long term plan. Cutting us down into easily digested pieces. Makes you want to weep. :cry:
  14. Remeber that the Scots MPs are full members of the UK parliament and as such entitled to vote on any matters in that parlimant. The real problem is that England insists on using the UK parliamnet for their private business. Sort yourselves out and get a proper English parliament rather than using the UK parliament.