Cameron Emasculates the 1922 Committee

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whet, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CMD is taking on the 1922 Committee by forcing them to allow ALL MPs to take part and vote in meetings.

Previously, only the rank and file were allowed to attend meetings, Ministers etc were not allowed.

Conservative Home

The Guardian

Why does this matter, because as Forsythe in the spectator says

2. Couldn't care less to be honest. Makes no difference to those of us who don't partake of party politics.

How's life in the LiberalDemocrats these days?
  3. Have you quit from the Lib Dems yet? Honour and all that!
  4. This is what happens when you get in league with the likes of Nick Clegg and his rabble. Nearly 100 years of tradition swept away in the blink of an eye.
  5. Yes
  6. I'm all for tradition A_M, but WTF did they do?
  7. Getting along without me I suppose
  8. So, when are you signing for for milibands lot?
  9. Splendid! Pleased to hear it.
    Principle often demands a price that isn't easy to pay but without that principal we aren't worth anything.

Back to the point, apart from a slight hint of the kind of control freakery New Labour exerted over its MP's I can't see much issue with changesto the 1922 Committee
    Personally I would prefer to see politicians subject to the will of the people rather than government trying to bend the people to its will. I doubt we shall ever see it though.
    I ma strongly of the opinion that politicians should serve this country by adminstering it on our bhalf and little more than that.

The 1922 Committee serves the Conservative Party and not the wishes of the electorate, as such I am happy enought to see their power reduced.
    Politicians should fear the public and not focus their attention on internal interests.
  10. Well AM, if you will elect the most left-wing government since Callahan, you've got to expect these things ... :D
  11. Then you have my respect, well done for sticking to your principles even if it was a bitter pill to swallow.
    I salute you, but do not always agree with you. :)
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Interesting point Jagman, expect that you miss out one vital point.

The whole basis of the 1922 committee was separation of powers, in that it was the Legislature holding the Executive to account, which is why (when in office) Ministers of the Crown are granted rights of audience only. It is something that the Labour Party have never allowed because they fear the combined voice of their Backbenchers (on whom the majority is based).

The 1922 forms a check and balance to the Executive arm of the Party whilst governing and it's devaluation is fairly significant.
  13. The modernisation of politics, about time things started to change.
  14. Not trying to be a twaaart, but I have also heard of this 1922 Committee but have no idea what its purpose is - anyone able to sum it up in a sentence or two?
  15. Pasted from the bbc website.

"The 1922 Committee is separate from the Tory leadership, and keeps it informed about the mood on the back benches.
    The committee, which takes its name from the year in which its founders were elected, meets each week to discuss parliamentary business and take grievances to the Conservative leadership."

In a nutshell, simply put.