Cameron announces audit of crazy Labour spending

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, May 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Smart move that man.

Unleash the skeletons!

"David Cameron has announced an audit of the government's books after finding examples of "crazy" spending decisions in Labour's last year in power.
    The prime minister told BBC One's Andrew Marr show the review would be launched on Monday by the new Office of Budget Responsibility."

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Hmm. One part of me thinks 'great idea, there must be a lot of money to be saved / timebombs left behind by the outgoing Government'.

The other part thinks 'oh, another quango!'
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not meaning to be disrespectful but I'm guessing thats because you don't know government before new labour. Before they came along quangos were pretty much irrelevant.
  4. Strange. I remember quite a few pointless government organisations that came with all sorts of labels back in the 70s. No doubt the'd been around much longer than that.
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

6. Ord_Sgt is correct in his sentiment that something rather odd happened with Quangos under the last government, though - having labelled their costs as being so disgraceful and scandlous that he'd take vigorous and startling action over Quangos when he became Chancellor, Gordon lived up to his word.

So we now have at least 100 more, with a budget which (depending upon which set of figures you use) is now between four and seven times larger than it was in 1997 (with adjustments for inflation, etc taken into account).
  7. Financially this country is in the sh#t

CMD has got to hugely reduce gunmint spending (biiiig time painful, given the 13 yr expansion in non-profit-making public sector employment under LieBore), while at the same time not scaring the horses (where external investment in UK plc is concerned)

He better be brave, and smart(er than either Churchill or Clement Attlee).

Otherwise we're f#cked
  8. Quango - it's a civil service term isn't it? Usually invented when retired civil servants need a part time job with mega bucks, also suitable for donators to the present government political party looking for a knighthood.

They've been around for years - Conservatives and Labour have both enjoyed the use of.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Nah you're****ed anyway, the payback is ****ing huge.

Attlee was a gayer and even Churchill, or whitecity, isn't big enough to make this one easier. It's going to fcuking HURT.

Serves you right for letting the ******* do it to you in the first place.
  10. VDon't disagree.

Am intrigued though:
    Whre the f#ck do you live that you feel so cocky.

I'd like a visa.

O - and a work permit

Immigrants work harder - well, based on UK society under LieBore they do . . .
  11. I am no economist and like most others the information which is generally relied upon to form an opinion of any sort comes through the extremely distorted lense of the media. I have noticed however, that when the economic bubble burst, consumer advertising offering 'homeowner loans' and other forms of credit, fuelling a debt-based economy 'dried up' somewhat as bank lending became more problematic and the lack of money supply forced businesses to close.

Now is it just me or has anyone else noticed that such advertising is back again? See the range or advertising on Sky TV for example.

I also notice that there appears to be rather fewer people queueing outside of job centres. I see fewer commercial bankrupty notices in the London Evening Gazette.

Perhaps a more reliable and objective indicator of the economic recovery or lack of it is to be found in the type of commercial and consumer advertising and the 'situations vacant' columns of the broadsheets rather than the politically partisan editorials in which subjective assetion seeks to triumph over objective reality.

I do not think that government borrowing has been channeled into the private sector but it seems to me that there is a lot more money sloshing around the economy than manipulative journalists and shyster politicans would like you to believe. People are spending money - lots of it. So if the economy has imploded as we are all being told it has, then where is this money coming from?
  12. Let us hope he includes that most ludicrous of Tory policies - Private Finance Initiatives. I see the press are hanging that one on Labour. Short memories. One is as bad as the other.
  13. I just hope he puts an immediate stop to the printing presses that are printing new money , or is that quantative easing?

14. Care to name a Tory PFI that is/was as scandelous as the Tanker PFI?
  15. Semper,

Would you class the sale of MOD housing to Annington Homes a PFI?