Cameron announces 1.1bn spending boost for military

Its for 'them', tecky geeks and special toys for the toolkit.
£1 billion surprise for special forces

‘The power of the SAS and Special Boat Service (SBS) to fight terrorism and free hostages will receive a surprise boost today in a plan to invest more than £1 billion in hi-tech military equipment and cyber warfare. Bucking the trend of defence cuts, David Cameron will stress the importance of drones and special forces when he unveils the investment at the Farnborough Airshow.’ – The Times (£)

High tec eh. Hover boards for heroes?

Let's hope that the programmes lined up include such novel things like spares and training for the REME (or similarly unfashionable repair agencies) since the horrendous cock-up that was Mastiff, wolfhound, panther etc.

Or should we just forget about the niff-naff and trivia and go on ignoring the small print that makes up an effectively maintained Army.

You would hope that the word 'boost' implies growth...
Oh you're funny.

Now that Afghan is all sorted until we have to go back and do it again a-la Iraq (which we may have to go back and do Iraq again, again) there is a perceived real threat from 'terror' in the Afghan wake. They have a buckshee Bn odd so bang it onto that!

No point in spending it on REME or tanks, we won't be needing them for a bit.

High tec eh. Hover boards for heroes?

Sorry, not wanting to derail or anything but I first read your post with my second pair of specs, what I saw was "Hover boards for herpes?" And suffered momentary confusion. Alzheimer's anyone?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wonder when they'll announce Tranche 5 to pay for the 'new' money.

E

EScotia

Oh you're funny.

Now that Afghan is all sorted until we have to go back and do it again a-la Iraq (which we may have to go back and do Iraq again, again) there is a perceived real threat from 'terror' in the Afghan wake. They have a buckshee Bn odd so bang it onto that!

No point in spending it on REME or tanks, we won't be needing them for a bit.
Any chance you can explain why you don't think REME will be required?

I know the REME top brass don't think they need Reserves at 1st Line or their NRPS/PSI anymore but I can't see REME being scrapped in its entirity!

Let's hope that the programmes lined up include such novel things like spares and training for the REME (or similarly unfashionable repair agencies) since the horrendous cock-up that was Mastiff, wolfhound, panther etc.

Or should we just forget about the niff-naff and trivia and go on ignoring the small print that makes up an effectively maintained Army.

You have to remember that MASTIFF, WOLFHOUND AND PANTHER were all UOR procurements, and so do not have full life support included in the contract. Now that they have been brought into Core they should be fully budgeted..........................I can't believe I said that with a straight face!

I definitely didn't forget that they were UOR. I couldn't believe we were paying for 4 contractors from FP inc. when there were capable VMs in theatre. The spares issue was outrageous in 2007.

Edited to add: Straight faces and double martinis all round!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Last year's underspend is this year's bonanza. Watch out for the 2015 SDSR, that's all I'm saying.

Yokel

LE
Will the PM announce any specifics, or will he leave that to the service chiefs?

It's not clear if this money is all for swish gizmos or some of it is going for more SF recruits.