Cameraman for CBS Wounded by U.S. Troops in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armourer, Apr 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. NEW YORK (Reuters) - An Iraqi freelance cameraman who works for CBS News was shot and wounded on Tuesday in northern Iraq by U.S. troops who mistook his camera for a weapon.

LINK

Whoops.

2. So he loks like a gunman (Non PC - Arabic), has what looks like a gun, and points it at troops who are in the middle of a firefight. Strange that someone would try and shoot him. Perhaps a big red baloon marked "innocent cameraman" might have helped. I think not.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Whats your point? The Spams will shoot anything, anywhere anytime. Thats why they are crap!

4. It would seem they had the choice of 2 targets one waving an AK47 that they could identify and one holding something they couldn't identify......

5. Why is everyone assuming the US troops shot him by mistake? :wink:

6. Journo - Got what he deserved!

7. The cameraman was a stringer who seemed to have had very good timing
    to be able to film the action. Most likely he was tipped off by the insurgents.

8. Am supprised the yanks with there crap shooting even managed to hit him, , but then again they probablly called in for air support!!

9. Journalist? Shot? oh right, shame.....whats on TV?

10. Vietnam journo to harassed Marine grunt "How can you shoot women and children?"

HMG replies "It's easy sir, you just don't lead them as much"

11. Load of bollox being talked.

If you where a tired, hot thirsty squaddie in the GIFA sorrounded by Johnny Foreigners trying to kill you, and some bloke way over there is seen with something on his shoulder pointing at you - and well over a thousand of your fellow mates have already been killed in the Insurgancy -
    what would you do? Wait to see if it goes bang or shoot first?

I watched a video recently that shows how well some of Uncle Sams gang can shoot - bloke kneeling down with RPG on shoulder, round is fired, within a second he is hit 5-6 times, sits down with an astonished look on his face - they shoot back! and a second later he takes a round to the head and is dead before he is horizontal.

12. Almost slotted a cameraman in the Bogside, he was doing a docu-drama for the beebs, he was not where he said he was going to be. Strange object edges round corner as I enter street, I roll and came up with him in my sights, one of the other lads seen him full and warned me in time. Almost wish he had not shouted now.

13. Don't knock the yanks. They have a different war in Baghdad to the one the Brits have in the south. One killed every day and about 15 injured through enemy action. 8O

Quick point two weekends ago a female MP, and three blokes killed 26 baddies between them in one contact. This gives you some idea of what they face all the time. Result! :D

As for the camerman. If you play with fire!

14. Seen also, except he doesnt get the round off, and nobody returned fire at the septics.
    But its a classic example of following the RoE, right up until they shoot him the second time when he is no longer a threat.
    Ill dig out the link to the clip.

15. Maybe the rounds had a long time of flight.... ;)