Camera Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by diplomat, Mar 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

In the market for a reasonably serious camera with GPS capability inbuilt. Also needs to work on normal batteries as recharging may not be possible where I will be working.

Needs decent optics with at least 12x zoom.

Smaller , lighter and simpler to use the better.

Anyone out there who really knows about cameras ? From the users side not the lens side!!
  2. I have recently purchased a Nikon P510 which meets all your criteria with exception of the normal batteries, That said you can buy spare batteries for next to nothing (Similar price of a packet of Duracel Batteries) You could use a Power Monkey or similar to charge it? or an Incar charger if you have vehicles?
  3. diplomat

Many tx. Does t have the GPS tagging capability?
  4. C'mon, I know that cameras are sometimes called "SLR"s, but asking this question in the weapons section is pushing it a bit far ;-)
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

6. Nikon Coolpix S9300. I have one, reasonably priced, 18x zoom, 1080 HD movie, GPS. Simple to usebut rechargeable battery. Like JerryCan says, buy a spare battery and buy a power monkey or similar (I have a Free Loader). Cameras using regular batteries are getting harder to find because they eat the things!
  7. Some DSLRs have a battery grip with a cassette that takes AA cells, don't know of any bridge cameras that do so.
  8. diplomat

Many thanks to you all so far.