Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camelot

Camelot

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Britain in the Dark Ages, roving bands of Saxons are pillaging and killing throughout the land and Arthur, the hope of England is dead. Or is he?
Lancelot fell in the last great battle and now anarchy, famine and ruin rule the land. The heroes are gone and there is no-one to unite the people, to gather warriors, to throw the hated Saxons back into the sea. Or is there?

On an isolated isle in the Avalon marshes is a monastery, the Order of the Thorn, where a lowly novitiate waits to take...

Click here to read the full review.....

Britain in the Dark Ages, roving bands of Saxons are pillaging and killing throughout the land and Arthur, the hope of England is dead. Or is he?
Lancelot fell in the last great battle and now anarchy, famine and ruin rule the land. The heroes are gone and there is no-one to unite the people, to gather warriors, to throw the hated Saxons back into the sea. Or is there?

On an isolated isle in the Avalon marshes is a monastery, the Order of the Thorn, where a lowly novitiate waits to take...

Click here to read the full review.....
It would have to be good to beat Bernard Cornwells Warlord Trilogy, The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur. Some of his best writing. Just reread for about the fourth time. I will have a go at this though.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
It would have to be good to beat Bernard Cornwells Warlord Trilogy, The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur. Some of his best writing. Just reread for about the fourth time. I will have a go at this though.
Couldn't agree more about the Warlord series, Simon Scarrow next followed by Corwell's Warlord, last of the Uhtred series.

Couldn't agree more about the Warlord series, Simon Scarrow next followed by Corwell's Warlord, last of the Uhtred series.

The Uhtred series just went on too long and I ran out of steam. However for Cornwell fans a new Sharpe is on the horizon. Long time since the last so hoping for something good.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I couldn't actually say whether or not it is as good as BC's work, It's certainly one take on the Arthurian canon and totally different to the Mallory interpretation. I am a great admirer of Cornwell but read this book not as a competitor to his work but as a relaxing bit of fiction, to enjoy and not think too much.

I couldn't actually say whether or not it is as good as BC's work, It's certainly one take on the Arthurian canon and totally different to the Mallory interpretation. I am a great admirer of Cornwell but read this book not as a competitor to his work but as a relaxing bit of fiction, to enjoy and not think too much.
I am looking forward to reading it.

Last edited:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I was hoping that it was about the white house when Kennedy was installed. honest.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
David Gemmell did a nice two book alternate take on the Arthurian legend. Not to everyone's taste I am sure but I enjoyed them.
Ghost King book 1
Last Sword of Power book 2

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I quite like David Gilman books too. Not too dissimilar to BC's Grailquest books, in that they follow the fortunes of a former archer from Crecy. Good yarns and a few of them.

Latest Threads