Cambridge University Pembroke Phileas Fogg party 'racist'

Cambridge University Pembroke Phileas Fogg party 'racist' - BBC News

"Cultural appropriation" - the manic PC brigade become more and more rabid in their pursuit of Political Correctness (or 'tyranny with manners' as Charlton Heston put it).

In this case it was halted in a row over political correctness after concerns it had the "potential for offence". Specifically "A student committee however, decided it might [my bold] lead to "cultural appropriation" if students dressed in clothes depicting other races".

Another example is the University of Ottawa banning a free yoga class because of fears of "cultural appropriation" - Free Ottawa yoga class scrapped over 'cultural issues'

I would genuinely like to know if "cultural appropriation"is a one-way street, as racism is? Do the PC Nazis insist on Sweaties wearing their tartan skirts instead of trousers? Are African students castigated if they wear Levis instead of their native garb, or is it just Whitey that has to toe their ridiculous line?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
The same university (though a different college) has an issue with a one hour a week women only gym class.

Hopefully when they reach their mid-twenties they'll have grown up.

I'm guessing that they found 'Black Friday' extremely traumatic.

Cambridge University Pembroke Phileas Fogg party 'racist' - BBC News

"Cultural appropriation" - the manic PC brigade become more and more rabid in their pursuit of Political Correctness (or 'tyranny with manners' as Charlton Heston put it).

In this case it was halted in a row over political correctness after concerns it had the "potential for offence". Specifically "A student committee however, decided it might [my bold] lead to "cultural appropriation" if students dressed in clothes depicting other races".

Another example is the University of Ottawa banning a free yoga class because of fears of "cultural appropriation" - Free Ottawa yoga class scrapped over 'cultural issues'

I would genuinely like to know if "cultural appropriation"is a one-way street, as racism is? Do the PC Nazis insist on Sweaties wearing their tartan skirts instead of trousers? Are African students castigated if they wear Levis instead of their native garb, or is it just Whitey that has to toe their ridiculous line?
This is in Canada where around 98% of the population are non-native species. And what about Quebec inappropriately appropriating French culture?
Mexicans getting counselling because students at a tequila party at a US university had little sombreros? Erm... Don't Mexicans speak Spanish? Didn't they appropriate sombreros from Spain????
*continues to shout at his phone*

J

JWBenett

Ah those bodysnatchers are right little buggers. This is just one of the student Stasi's many escapades in the mire of modern Uni bollix; look what happened to David Starkey at Cambridge last year. If I hadn't started HE late in life through the Open University I couldn't have done it. You can still fall foul of the spitting harridans and demented lefties in seminars and the books and marking are decidedly pink and prickly; it's just not worth paying thousands of pounds to ruin your own mind.

For the pink, bone and prickly: there's always "Frontrunner". These 'graduates' subscribe to bigoted Nietzschen EU edicts, the uebermensch and tertiary education above the secondary education cretin. Sometimes they've been usefully tainted with communism before the pinkos bite their neck; we've one or two of them on here. Life imitating robots, very sad. There is no cure.

.....I would genuinely like to know if "cultural appropriation"is a one-way street, as racism is? Do the PC Nazis insist on Sweaties wearing their tartan skirts instead of trousers? Are African students castigated if they wear Levis instead of their native garb, or is it just Whitey that has to toe their ridiculous line?
Only white blokes can be racist.

...Mexicans getting counselling because students at a tequila party at a US university had little sombreros? Erm... Don't Mexicans speak Spanish? Didn't they appropriate sombreros from Spain????
*continues to shout at his phone*
I don't think it quite happened that way.

I did a Trenchard Fellowship at Cambridge 10 years ago and found the student body to be pretty robust and mainstream in their thinking. However, at my college I gave a seminar to the MCR on my thesis topic (Counter-Insurgency intelligence - a historical perspective). A PhD student asked very good questions but finished off with 'would my research be politically responsible?', in other words, would I present alternative narratives for the insurgents?

I took a little bit of offence, not from a 'right on' perspective, but for him challenging my competency to present an accurate historiography.

*and I anyone wants to read my work, PM with a DII or Firecrest email address. Guaranteed to cure most forms of insomnia...

I did a Trenchard Fellowship at Cambridge 10 years ago and found the student body to be pretty robust and mainstream in their thinking. However, at my college I gave a seminar to the MCR on my thesis topic (Counter-Insurgency intelligence - a historical perspective). A PhD student asked very good questions but finished off with 'would my research be politically responsible?', in other words, would I present alternative narratives for the insurgents?

I took a little bit of offence, not from a 'right on' perspective, but for him challenging my competency to present an accurate historiography.

*and I anyone wants to read my work, PM with a DII or Firecrest email address. Guaranteed to cure most forms of insomnia...
Okay, I wasn't there but why take offence?

Was he challenging your competency, or was he merely demonstrating how he and others have been schooled to massage things so as not to cause offence? (Which, in itself, is a very troubling thing as it shows how a generation has been effectively brainwashed.)

Just reading some of the examples in that article. It's all got a bit silly, hasn't it?
Totally out of hand. If enough toys are chucked out of prams by the dreamy, angry, intelligentsia then main stream humanity is screwed. Any body with a traceable family history has a skeleton or two lurking, who doesn't have an ancestor that marched into some distant tract of Empire. Even middle income Georgian society had a slave or two, God forbid.
So the angry brigades attempt to eradicate history and all its nastiness, and then return the loot of ages from chickens, marbles, to chunks of the Peking Temple (yikes no one has kicked off about that yet!) is destined to increase in tempo.
Lets watch and see which MPs are going to leap on this potential for electoral victory after all local elections are just round the corner!

They could hide under a blanket

I think you'll find it's called a PONCHO!

I will now have to retire to my safe room.