Cambridge Short Courses - Lecturers?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Tom_W, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If anybody is unaware the Cambridge Short Courses that used to be announced in the DINs have been stopped.

To those who had the opportunity to attend one of the courses can you remember any of the Lecturers who were based at Cambridge. I.e. not the subject matter experts that were often brought in.

I'm applying for a MPhil and need to list two potential supervisors to study under. Broadly the area of study is Security Sector Reform.

Appreciate any responses.

2. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You need to find a supervisor who is covering the area that you're interested in researching rather than just putting down two random lecturers. Cambridge is pretty good about putting stuff online so look through the academics' profiles online; You can also look for some of their papers using jstor or google scholar to see if they are researching the area that you're interested in.

3. Bloody hell.......so Caecilius is still in the horto!!!!! Must be the best lawn in Rome....................?!

4. I'd also say it's absolutely imperative that you contact the academics before you nominate them to supervise you for a project. Contact them to discuss your idea(s) first, and to see if there's any sort of spark, because trust me, it is very important that you work with somebody who (a) you will get on with, and (b), has the type of supervisory style you require.

Can I also ask why you're going for the MPhil? I'm not sure how the MPhil is viewed outside of academia but within, the brutal truth is it's viewed as a failed PhD.

5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Outside of academia it's just a Cambridge masters and everything that comes with it. Cambridge doesn't really offer alternate masters degrees as the MA (Cantab) is a freebie handed out to all graduates.

I do have several friends who started (or even had vivas for) PhDs but left with nothing but MPhils.