Cambridge posting - Quiet, elderly goat,often found sober, seeks digs...2012.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Goatman, Jul 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

O Mighty Arrse,

(wherein all wisdom may be found)

Anyone familiar with Cambridge area?

I suspect it is dominated by rapacious landlords stuffing eight students into a four bedroom mid terrace late Victorian house :-D

Any tips on renting around Cambridge (10 mile radius) from those who have experience of doing so would be very much appreciated.

(witty posts along the lines ' I had a beer with a nurse from Addenbrooke's once' whilst illuminating,will be treated with a certain froideur, not mention a raised eyebrow and the Ha-hrrmm sound....)

Jen Noh-Duff
  2. I live in Saffron Walden which is just south of Cambridge though a little more than 10 miles only about 20 minutes on the train or by car. check on here for rentals:

Property To Rent | Houses & Flats To Rent Or Let | Primelocation

there seems to be plenty of property available though rents are not cheap. Travel into Cambridge can be difficult by car with what parking there is quite expensive, a lot of people park and ride, park in large car parks around the outside of the city and take the bus in. This can take quite a while due to the volume of traffic in a city which was laid out long before cars were thought of. Better to rent somewhere with a railway station and take the train in.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

PM sent.

I live in Cambridge, and there are some quite reasonable places to rent. One that may suit is in the village of Histon, some 2 miles from city centre. Lots of facilities, including several pubs, 2 chinese resteraunts, an Indian one and a fishand chip shop. As well as several shops. Let advertised by at Brooks Close.
  4. Are you taking up a year-long fellowship at one of the Colleges perchance? If so, the colleges have a vast number of properties on their books - from 1 brm bed-sits up to large family homes. Speak to the Bursar.

Rents do tend to be high because of the technology park just south of Cambridge. The Mill Road/Tenison Road area is extremely convenient - especially to the Train Station and the centre of town - but not hampered by the traffic restrictions. There are a range of properties there, though most tend to be large Victorian semis.
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks folks - OFAH seen PM much obliged, will be in touch.

Crash - hee, chance would be a fine thing! No, just be based there for the next 6 months or so. I have looked at College accom prior to the students returning and may well go down this road. Was also in touch with the Mess mgr at Waterbeach but its closing shortly so no go - might give Wyton a shout.

Merch - hadn't thought of Saffron Walden, but Histon may be a better bet as its North of the city and closer.

VMTs all, much obliged,

Don Cabra
  6. Wish you luck at Wyton now the Mess at Brampton has closed (pity - an elegant old mansion, too). Wyton's full of wierdy int types, too.
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

Histon has excellent links to the bloody awful A14, as it sits just off it, by about half a mile. Handy place, I live about a mile away and use the village several times a week.
  8. Wyton to Cambridge is a bit of a commute, the traffic is horrendous.
  9. old_fat_and_hairy

Ah, but Cambridge to Wyton isn't too bad. Traffic going in opposite direction at peak times. A14 pretty quiet from cambridge to Huntingdon in mornings, and we now have the much vaunted upgrade coming! Along with santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.
  10. Anywhere along the (mis)guided bus route should be ok, St Ives - Willingham - Longstanton. North Cambridge not as pricy as the south. Traffic into town at peak times is horrendous and the A14 goes bang at the drop of a hat. Avoid Arbury and Kings Hedges.
  11. old_fat_and_hairy

I echo and endorse that most heartily! Arbury, king's Hedges and Chesterton in general best left to the locals, they have evolved in a way that prevents them being eaten!

Busway is not a bad system, although it cost a huge amount to build, and will take around 6 Million years to recoup the cost. Runs from Histon/Impington and I have even ridden on it ( although the bus is really for poor people). Quite a pleasant ride, and always the sporting chance of hitting a cyclist or two on the way, although at present, the cycle track can only be used by SBS in their RHIBs.
  12. Fixed that for you
  13. old_fat_and_hairy

Thank you, my mistake
  14. Agree - it's nasty.
    cambridge itself is a great place - especially some of the outlying burbs. On the other hand, you could try Carver Barracks at Debden, just near Thaxted.
  15. And watch teh speed cameras on teh A14 - possible to lose your licence in one trip along there!