Cambrian

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by 307, May 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 307

307 War Hero

I am doing Cambrian Patrol this year and would just like a bit of a heads up on what to expect, any tips etc. Never done it before and 'volunteered' whilst a bit int he dark over it all. So fill me in chaps.

2. you get sore feet, sore shoulers, wet, cold, no sleep mmmm dunno what else to say really! its not much fun when you're doing it but its only about 48 hours. just make sure you are clued up on things like setting tripflares, first aid etc. you pick up points doing things like that on the stands. if you are crap at tabbing I would unvolunteer yourself asap

3. 307

307 War Hero

When it comes to tasbbing I just go into ugg mode and tab on with a few grunts maybe. Tripflares you say, never done one, will raise the military skills question with the boss tomo to get a few lessons and refreshers going, being arty we don't see that many tripflares.

4. OOOhhh dear 307, you've now learnt a great military lesson - never volunteer for anything.

The trg we did was split into 3 parts:
    1. Tabbing - build your endurance and do it on hills (and I'd suggest Wales - it makes sense really) and as soon as you are ready with some weight (but don't kick the arse out of this or you'll crack somone at the last minute and stuggle to replace him). We also used this to train everyone on map reading and route planning. Get stronger and fitter so you can handle the tabbing and you'll lose no one at the last minute, or worse during the bloody thing, through injury .

2. Basic military skills lessons and battle exercises - the scope here needn't be wide, no underwater knife fighting stuff, just the basic infantry skills (see the DCI) but at a very high level. Get the pams out and start the lessons. Just before we went and did it we were doing battle exercises all the time whilst we were tabbing - so you'll need a good support team to organise this for you. The fringe ones we did were: hand minefield breach, forward passage of lines, contact drills (for fun), dry and wet river crossing drills - talk to a recce bloke they'll know the drills.

3. Orders extraction and delivery. for the boss and 2IC. Difficult to arrange as someone willl have to act as the IO or a patrols tasking officer but worth it.

Check yer kit and reduce it to the bare essentials, all the gucci stuff you might take on exercise get rid of as you'll not get a chance to use it and if any thing is duplicated in the team, such as RCK and cookers etc just share. Always take a gonk bag and a bivy bag - you know it makes sense.

err and much much more

But all this said I did enjoy it and would recommed it to anyone who's got a bit of drive in them.

5. What heresy is this?

Sharing a rifle cleaning kit but it's ok to take your own dossbag / bivibag FFS!

Outfcukingrageous! Get thee hence to a REMF board where advice like that may just slip through the net, no infantryman could surely countenance such a ridiculous idea.

6. Whilst we're on the matter of personal drills and skills...

Put your boil in the bag scoff in your armpits when you are tabbing, then when you stop its already warm - so no need to cook - ace! Alternatively eating your food cold is not a sign of poor admin or low personal standards, but in fact a recognised means of saving time prior to getting into your gonk bag.

Don't change your socks for the 48hrs - this will save you valuable time and weight as you won't have to carry spares - anyway it'll be over soon.

Don't shave for the 48hrs - the weight you save will allow you to carry a fifth bag of haribo sweets.

Prepare your war stories well, they will advance your standing in any officers' mess in the future.

7. 307

307 War Hero

I am fairly used to tabbing with weight now, done a load of pre-infantry ex. training voer the last few months. I am just after ideas on pre-cambrian training as it is really the first time the battery has ever really put a lot of focus on cracking this event, so no one really knows what needs doing, besides the obvious training. So keep all the handy hints coming in. Don't worry I'd already planned to bin all the non essentials, why make life harder ey?! P.s. I didn't really volunteer, lets say it was stongly suggested I take part!

8. Make sure your radios work, if they dont you loose points at the opening inspection, also make sure you are on the right batco sheet at all times. Keep that bayonet well oiled as well.

9. 307 those "pre inf " exercises were not tabbing just some arduous camping prior to cyprus. You need to do some serious trainning just to make sure you are there at the finish.

10. Please God, tell me BATCO isn't still in is it? I got out of the regs in 97. My little stints since on call up have been very REMFy indeed, so I didn't come near that sort of thing. 8 years on and it's still going strong? Holy mother!

11. Bit of Colombian marching powder will sort you out !

12. yeah you better beleive it, that is until bowman is issued across the board.

13. Dogmonkey - you cut me.

I am mearly suggesting to the fellow that if he is working in a small team then these things are appropriate. In each of our recce dets the gunner carried an SPW + an enlarged RCK for all the det so as you sat in the OP, bored to tears, one kit could be used to clean each shooter as the stags shanged - good drills in my book. I would never countainance such sloppy behaviour in a rifle section, mind.

In defence of the sleeping bag statement there are oppurtunities for a few zeds and they are worth seizing in as much comfort as you can - gibbering under a US poncho on in the Elan Valley at 4 in the morning does not set you up well for a tussock grass encounter, having a bergan full of sleeping bag also stops you filling it with other crap and finally I think it is compulsory in case you get stranded on the hills as one of your fatter chums packs it in.

Additional stuff we did was to zero all the shooters to the CWS and cracked a few night shoots and then finnaly checked zeroed everything just before we went. Do a couple of section attacks just to get the feel of who's where as they can be bent to fit numerous other senarios, such as the snap ambush, section in defence shoot or clearing a casualty scene.

Have two blokes designated as the radio ops and get them to fully grasp the importance of this as there are a huge amount of points to be gained out there from good reporting - we fired them in for crossing reports, minefield reports and the usual sighing reports. These are worth the time and effort as no one else does them so you are racking up points for 'free'.

OP work and patrol report filling - this will be the thing you are judged on if they use them - its a concrete bit of evidence that they can question you on. Get a preprepared patrol report format together with loads of pages so you can go mad, hire an artist to come with you for the sketches and get every one to fill them in during trg so that you can identify who the drawers/writers are. Don't be tempted to use a dictaphone and then hand over a tape - it happened on mine and the team were sent away to write it all out.

Stuff I whish we'd done differenly
    We got really hung up on moving fast over the ground but this is not a race so take your time, keep on track and stop every now and then for a brew stop (500m short of any RV say).

14. You guys must be in a different army to me.

I did the Cambrian in 2002 and 2003. We didnt sleep, or basha up, make hot brews or scoff. We just ate on the move and had rest stops. Its a competition, and there is a time factor too.

There is a kit list they give you. Adhere to it or you will lose points. Points make the difference between Certificate or Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Make sure all your basic drills are shit hot....Personal and Section. Make sure you fully understand the orders process.

Practice weapon and vehicle identification.

Make sure your First Aid is good, and you have nominated team medics.

You will be expected to tab tactically as a recce patrol for the next 36 hours over approximately 70km in all weather conditions carrying roughly 80lb.

There will be stands for First Aid, Mine clearance, NBC, a recce to be carried out, etc.etc.

Train hard. Very hard. PTI's have dropped by the wayside. You need balls to go further when your body says no and you're tired. Lots of mountains lots of weight. Carrying a rifle if possible, if you dont youll feel the weight of your rifle after 36 hours. Trust me.

Try and stay at the TA Barracks in Cardiff (name escapes me). Its better post cambrian for a night out :)

Post Cambrian: For a month your feet will be numb. Your feet may be sore for a few days as will your legs. Your shoulders and neck will be sore. If possible have a bath with loads of radox. drink loads of water then go out into Cardiff and get pissed and eat loads.

You'll hate it, and youll love it. A great feeling of accomplishment. May even push you towards Selection.

And Strikesure when did you do the Cambrian? Donkeys ago? SPW??? you have 6 rifles 2 LSW!!!! Get with the times lol

15. Coverteye,
    read the post, I said in our recce dets - I was not talking about the team - you youngsters pah.

Was yours a race? Ours certainly wasn't, yes we had to get to the PLs by a set time but I wish we'd taken it a bit slower since we were hanging by the end and a few brew stops on the way would have made all the difference - this'll be a judgement call by the commander on the day as each Cambrian changes with the SO2 planning the thing, so who can tell.