Cambrian Patrol

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Pile, Sep 19, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For some very bizzare reason, a few months ago I decided to sign up for a little walk in the woods called Cambrian Patrol. This is the first time my unit have entered the comp, and so we have very little idea what the crack is.

Has anyone got any comments/advice that we could find helpfull?

All constructive advice would be gratefully recieved.

I'll now slink back off to the NAAFI where i belong. :D

2. The two times my coy entered a team ended in horrendoues failure.You
    are carrying a large amount of kit over long distances in rough terrain
    and probably foul weather .
    If you or your team are not fit used to working as a team
    and carrying heavy loads over rough terrain you are going to suffer and or fail . Navigation is also vital as not allowed gps has to be spot on
    again practise is the only answer and practise in realistic conditons ie at night and in wild country.
    Also having a muppett instructor who thinks everyone should only use issue kit dosent help. Wanted too do it next year but will
    be staging in the desert on the selection weekend.Rember if otc unit can get gold medal anyone can .
    well done to that otc unit

3. Hi,

I did the Patrol two years ago and will may get called in to do it again this year as my unit's team has encountered some "personnel issues".

Get in touch with the organisers and they will send you the details of the competition to give you a better idea of what to train for. CP has no hidden tricks-essentially the two things it tests are long distance tabbing and ITD skills. So concentrate on the basics, from signals (351 inc. batco) to section attacks to NBC, first aid and AFV/small arms recognition. Also train as much as possible as a patrol on the ground, covering distances of up to 70km in 48 hours over the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains area with full patrol kit-between 70 and 100lbs each. My bergen on the actual competition weighed about 70lbs, plus 22lbs webbing, rifle and helmet. The patrol commander and 2i/c will both need to be able to give a good set of orders as I believe that they are being assessed this year. The patrol as a whole also needs to rehearse all the usual contact drills, fire and manouevre, patrolling, tactical river crossing, etc.

4. It is a basic patrol skills competition, but there is nothing basic about it. Fitness is key as during the comp you will get ragged. The tests or stands are not complicated and based on ITDs but to do well you must complete each stand as a group to a high standard “there can be no mongs in the team”.

Do well and it is a great achievement and something to be proud of.

5. The Cambrian Patrol

I have had a lot of experience with this patrol both as a competitor (Gold certificate – and two silver) and as a member of the DS.

There are two ways to approach this competition, the legal way and the illegal way. The legal way first.

Get your team well up on command and control situations and swat up on the ITD’s. Tab like mad day and especially night training, and do your very best.

Now the illegal way: The general gist of the patrol starts with an “O” group were you have to extract your orders and give them to your patrol. Most of the time it is a Recce patrol and the Elan valley in Wales is a top place for this. Your kit is weighed at the start and you need to carry a load of unnecessary stuff you normally wouldn’t. You set off and at each check point you will have tests on the majority of ITD’s (I think stuff like Moral Understanding is excluded) The team that does the best does this by collecting points and successfully submitting a Recce report with all the team intact.

Now how to cheat:

Prep additional “alternative real” bergans that can be carried as soon as the weight in has been done; these can be switched quite easily from your admin/safety veh. Leave the heavy stuff behind.

You will have with you a number of items that are banned such as a mobile phone to contact your admin/navigation team who can collect and transport you parts of the way with hot food and drinks and reserve soldiers if required. GPS, never ever leave home with out one! Getting lost on this patrol is for suckers and there is nothing better to kill moral than an another five clicks added to sore feat!

Take a decent watch with an alarm clock, every one is to take a light doss back with Gortex bag and half way through make every one sleep for a few hours. Don’t post sentry and go none tact, all you need to do is cam up well (as in hide!) set your alarm and try to switch off for some zeds. Most teams try to do the Patrol in a one’er and find themselves over stretched and over tired. Know you’re going to sleep at the start of the Patrol; most teams who complete the Patrol will have to sleep any way but won’t have appreciated this in their plan.

The Recce report can be pre written, just look at the map of the area and find the key points that may be the Recce target. Take an instant camera with you and Gucci stuff like soil and water samples (pre made of course all in nice little Tupper ware containers) your team should consist of work horse soldiers who can tab without sleep. Only one or two need to be switched on!
    At the end of the patrol you have to drive off the trg area and back to Senny Bridge Trg Camp, stop off at the café first for a B/fast and wash and brush up and at this time write the complete Recce report! This way you won’t have a time limit and nice neat presentable reports along with sketches, notes and photography not forgetting your soil and water samples (no one will check that it’s from the back of the 25m range at Senny Bridge!)

Sleep deprivation is a big factor; swap over for fresh soldiers at the café, looks great if you’re all washed and shaved and looking fresh. At the end of the day you have to finish, you can “waste” a percentage of your team, two I think before you get disqualified. Every one cheats, and the ones who don’t get certificates to say they participated, just like the scouts.

The next biggy is Intel, arrive early, Recce the DS the week before. Talk to the drivers and medics. We are not talking “James Bond” just common sense, follow the DS out onto the area, there are only a few scenarios that can be given in a rural area, think like the DS.

Your back up team will act as your knowledge base and a lap top with all the ITD packages on along maps and Recce reports, sit reps and the like make it easy for you to “Phone a friend”

Lastly don’t get caught and if any one has a problem with the above then warfare and soldiering is not for you. Dirty tricks are part and parcel of war, some say all you need for slaughter is bullets and water………………not quite, good luck.

6. BFPO: Top tips!

I also did the cambrian two years on the trot, once legitimatley and the other time along similar lines to what you described in the "ilegal" phase, the first time we got a "thanks for coming...." certificate, the second time a silver (pretty good eh?) GPS is a definate, I dont really see that as cheating more as common sense, most blokes would have a check nav with a compass anyhow so wheres the problem there? is nt using technology sensible?

It's a hard slog even if your as fit as, so my advise would be to not make it any harder than it needs to be GPS & mobiles are the go...

7. BFPO these are top tips you naughty boy.

The only other tip I have heard that makes sense is to arrive early - this applies particularly to TA units - as getting there on a friday night after a days' work and then setting off into the cuds means you have not slept since friday a.m.

Get there thursday, ideally, and have a monster lie in on friday. You know it makes sense.

8. Anyone know the dates for the 2005 competition?

9. yet again our company distinguised itself by failing miserable .At least this lot didnt print t shirts commerating their failure . 8 years of trying not one certificate of attendance only soldier i know who had a cambrian medal was ex otc will hand bpfo notes to next scarificial party sorry team
    sadly training at last moment dosent work . thank god i didnt go :D

10. The DCI normally comes out in March/April, but CP05 will be run in the last week of Oct - first week of Dec. Probably.

I was also going to say it will be a minor miracle if any regular units can actually field teams this year, but then it's not really run for us anymore - it's a huge advert for the Army these days.

Keep an eye on your Bn/Regt noticeboard or start harassing Trg Wg nearer the time. :D

11. Have gone mad and decided to try and do it this time anything but match 9 again October this year will get post exact dates when i know it

12. I had an 'unthinking moment' last night and stuck my hand up when this was mentioned on first parade. 8O :lol:

Does anyone have any more up to date tips or info (have read the official MOD and Arrsepedia info but some inside gen' would be great. Thanks :)

13. i have heard a top tip is to ring up the organisers pretending your the adj, asking what grid references could you bring your VIP party to (local MP / royalty etc)

So they could see something interesting...

14. Having been on the training team for an OTC team back in the early '90s I'd have been shocked if they hadn't done well. These guys put their entire lives into prepping for the competition for the best part of a year, a luxury a Regular (or indeed TA Unit) could not afford.

It did hack the rest of the Unit off, mind you, that so many resources were spent on the 10 or 15 gladiators who were being selected to take part...

15. some years ago (15-16) when i was in a recconaisance platoon, i took part in the cambrian patrol, which i must add, is a very ardous task in its self. although i was lucky enough to collect a gold medal for my troubles.
    this patrol can only be really understood by taking part, after much received advice i was unaware as to what actually lay ahead.
    having said that i would do it again without hesitation as it gave me and my team mates an incredible sense of, both, pride and achievement. both personally and when i returned to my regiment, as it was the first gold medal any team had achieved in some 30- 35 years.
    it combines a lengthly yomp over quite rough terrain in all weathers and various tasks, ie, vehicle recognition, camouflage and concealment, first aid, live firing, etc.
    i send my best wishes to any team who takes part in the patrol, but i will pass this valuable advice forward, which is... train hard, pack plenty of foot care stuff and make sure you obtain good quality wet weather gear.