Camalot rip off

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by tropper66, Aug 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It now seems that if you play the lottery, on the web, while abroard in some countrys you may be breaking local laws and cannot win, but Camalot have not been very clear on this and have made a lot of money

another effin rip off

2. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

erm - just one look at the FAQ http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/faqs.ftl#int_GetStarted3 and it says:
    Can I play while overseas?

Please remember, you need to be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times when you play UK National Lottery games through your interactive Account.

In countries outside of the UK and Isle of Man, local laws often prevent the sale or purchase of tickets for any overseas lottery. To protect players and the UK National Lottery, the National Lottery Rules and Terms and Conditions prohibit people from playing online in any country where it is unlawful to do so. Lawfulness will vary from country to country and, possibly, from time to time. This also means that, under local laws and National Lottery rules, we would not be able to pay out any prize in these circumstances.

Therefore, we would advise players to assume that it is unlawful to purchase a ticket whilst abroad, and to only buy their tickets whilst located in the UK or Isle of Man. We would therefore advise you only to buy your tickets online when you are actually located in the UK or the Isle of Man. This also applies when playing by text.

where is it unlcear?

3. If that is their stance then why not copy what 4OD and BBCi player do. You cannot use them abroad, simple.

4. You can if you use Firfox, Foxyproxy

5. Excellent, my missus will be chuffed now she can watch Grand designs to her hearts content.

Back to Camelot if they implemented this block it would show willing surely?

6. Camelot camelotting, Camelot stops..........

7. BFBS Radio warned of this for ages. Anyone who buys a ticket whilst outside UK will forfeit their winnings. Even British Forces at a BFPO address. Now that really stinks!

8. I wonder how much this little con has made over the last few years

9. CountryGal

On the BFPO site they also have a note in the do not send items list for packets, that you cant send a lottery ticket

10. CountryGal

Prolly shedloads I suspect - maybe thats why they dont use the technology to change their systems to recognise the IP address and block it / or ask the question to make you stop and realise youre wasting your money

11. You can't totally blame Camelot as when I tried to play I of course had to set up an account.

At the bottom of the page was this:

Even though geography was never my strongpoint, I do realise France isn't part of the UK. But perhaps there lies the problem, it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. :D :D :D

13. Stop crying you freaks!

With odds of 16 million+ to 1 of winning the jackpot, it's a rip-off, end of, full stop, that's all she wrote, the fat lady sang.

Trying to win the lottery in a country where it's banned is, well, like trying to win the lottery. It's never going to be you.

14. It's a hell of a life at Camelot
    They eat ham and jam and spamalot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. And it's such a droll place