Height: 6'1"
Weight: 171lbs
Fights: 54
Won: 48
KO: 32
Losses: 4
Draws 1
NC: 1

Personally, I think the Welsh Dragon will win on points.

Calzaghe on points by UD. Ole man Popkins won't be able to handle Joe's sheer workrate.

Still think this fight is more hype than substance, which is why I chose not to go.

i was a fan of hopkins until all his "i will never lose too a white man" crap so i hope Calzaghe brutally KO's him

I don't think Hopkins is a racist, he is one of the smartest and most charismatic men in the sport. Certainly far too clever to to go around making such cheap comments purely for the sake of it.

It's all about hyping up the bout because controversy puts bums on seats and adds spice.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Calzaghe scuffle was pre-planned from the start. B-Hop is, after all, employed by Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya is only interested in making loads of $$$.

Hope Joe smacks him anyway!

If there's gonna be anyone out there who could make Joe look bad it'll be Hopkins. Calzaghe made a defence back in 2000 (I think) against a fella called Rick Thornberry and Joe stunk the joint out that night. It was one of the worst performances he's ever made. However, he was definately off-form that night and he will be up for it big time. But Hopkins is a cagey fighter who can outhustle anyone on his night. That, coupled with the fight being in Vegas and Vegas judges as well, could spell trouble.

However, I suspect Joe will bamboozle him for 12 rounds and win on points. But if the odds are good, might be worth putting some money on B Hop.

Ritch said:
Calzaghe Stats:

Boxing Stance: Southpaw
Reach: 73"
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 168lbs
Trainer: Enzo Calzaghe
Fights: 44
Won: 44

B-Hop Stats:

Reach: 71"
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 171lbs
Fights: 54
Won: 48
Losses: 4
Draws 1
NC: 1
Are you sure about those stats? They have JC still at super middle limit (168lbs), and B-Hop well inside the L/heavy limit. Would have thought they'd both be closer to 175lbs.

Also, they show JC as 2 inches shorter, but with a 2" longer reach. I know that could be possible, but I didn't think it was the case here.

Anyhow, hope that JC makes him work hard every round, and that B-Hop's age starts to show.

Calzaghe on points but I hope he knocks Hopkins out for all the years of trash-talking.
Hopkins is a clever fighter but I've seen him in some stinkers and I hope this is his last fight ever.

Old man Popkins wont be able to handle the volume of punches Calzaghe will be throwing so I reckon Calzaghe will win on points. Hopefully if he wins he'll get a few more big names to fight like Jermain Taylor or Roy Jones Jr.

Taz_786 said:
I don't think Hopkins is a racist, he is one of the smartest and most charismatic men in the sport. Certainly far too clever to to go around making such cheap comments purely for the sake of it.

It's all about hyping up the bout because controversy puts bums on seats and adds spice.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Calzaghe scuffle was pre-planned from the start. B-Hop is, after all, employed by Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya is only interested in making loads of $$$.
quote]

Think you're right here - apparently tickets haven't sold too well.

Am a tad uneasy about this fight - although Calzaghe has often expressed the desire to fight at light heavy, and may have had a few problems making weight in the lighter div, he is going in against someone who seems naturally bigger, and who is on home turf; plus, of course, there's the problem with Nevada refs, who may be a little averse to Joe's style!

Hopefully, Joe's legendary stamina/ work rate will tell in the end, but let's not forget that in boxing terms he's no longer in the spring chicken category himself! However, I just have an uneasy feeling about this one - there's too much of the Archie Moore about Hopkins, & "The Old Mongoose" had a habit of putting the muckers on the otherwise exceptional career records of younger fighters. Hope I'm wrong...

Animal_Mother said:
Old man Popkins wont be able to handle the volume of punches Calzaghe will be throwing so I reckon Calzaghe will win on points. Hopefully if he wins he'll get a few more big names to fight like Jermain Taylor or Roy Jones Jr.
Roy Jones Jr has said that he'll fight Calzaghe - even if he loses against Hopkins - at the Milennium Stadium, with possibly a two fight deal if the first bout is a good one.

3am Radio 5 Live... Its going to be a loooong day.

If a white bloke had made the comments Hopkins made then we would never hear the last of it. Because he's black the media just say "he's had a hard life" blah blah blah.

The reason they haven't sold out all the tickets is because Hopkins stinks the place out in most of his fights. However, he is clever and is a threat but I believe he will be shocked by Calzaghe's speed and volume of punches. And hopefully Hopkins will be knocked out.

I would like to see Calzaghe fight Jones next if he gets through this fight. Jones is a great fighter in my eyes and I think that would be a better fight than this one to be honest.

Calzaghe is going to have around 10,000 fans from Britain in the arena tonight.

I think that Joe's style could well be a factor - It is difficult to distinguish sometimes if his punches are legitimate hits or slaps; what he got away with over here could well count against him over there.

He needs to win 8 rounds conclusively as I see it.

Although I think it would be a great scalp to get a win over Hopkins and he deserves the big fight payday, even if he wins people will be saying "oh Hopkins was past it" anyway. The same thing would happen if he fought and beat Jones Jr too. He probably should of fought Jermain Taylor a few years ago if he was to be recognised as a "great". He's still had a great career though.

If he beats Hopkins then a fight in Cardiff against Jones would be a perfect swansong. Calzaghe has said he only wants two fights max after this one. The only other fights out there are Tarver, who I think will fight Chad Dawson next in a unification.
Taylor possibly but he's kind of devalued since getting beat by Pavlik twice and then Pavlik himself but that all depends if he wants to move up two weight divisions.
Still, Calzaghe has to get past Hopkins first. Fingers crossed!