Calve pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ste_Simpson, Jul 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi im training to get fit for the army, I've started running now after doing walking and stuff and after 2 minutes of running my calves are seriously hurting me.

I wear new balance running shoes which are for support and balance now I thought these would fix it but they havent I was wondering if anybody knows what it is. If its just general unfitness which I am unfit, thats fine aslong as I can fix it, just scared its somthing more sinister and it would crush me if it was as Ive never wanted somthing so much as to get in the army.

2. Calving does hurt some cows; best practice is to bring them into the barn and if you're concerned get the vet in. If the calves are seriously hurting you then I'd stay on the other side of the fence.

More tips here: cattlefarming.net

If on the other hand you're on about your legs then try doing some stretches and warm up properly beforehand. Beware of doing too much too soon, and consider talking to a professional personal trainer too and getting them to analyse your gait etc.

3. BZ, you're a card, if it's his calves, it's his gate that needs analysed, not his gait. Plus, a carpenter should do it, not a PT.

4. As above.
    Warm up properly and stretch at the end of your run. See here: Calf Stretches - Calf Stretch - Calf Flexibility Exercises - PhysioAdvisor
    You have to hold the stretch for at lest 30 seconds to get a good stretch, you should stretch for at lest five minutes before and after.

The pain is at the back of the lower leg, yes? If it's at the front near the tibia you might have shin splints which are absolute bastards to treat.
    You should probably go to a good running shop where someone can assess your gait and biomechanics, you might benefit from insoles if the biomechanics are off. Most importantly, remember that your body is a body, it's not a machine that you can just keep pushing. If something hurts then pay attention to it, you might save yourself a lot of hassle in the long run if you sort it properly now.

5. Thankyou for the good replys and the rather peculiar one reguarding livestock.

It is the back of my lower leg yes, it is probably going to be a gait problem by the sounds of things because I do have flat feet aswell I just thought these shoes Ive got would help deal with it its really ******* me up because im not tired or out of breath its just the calve pain which starts after about 50 seconds on a treadmill.

I havent been stretching at all though so maybe its just that thats causing it because I walked on an incline of 15% at 6kph today for 20 minutes no problem, my calves ached a bit but as soon as i started running it hurt straight away. Im going to try running round my local golfcourse tommorrow with some stretches before hand and see how I get on hopefully this will solve my problem.

I dont think its my flat feet causing it however because I used to play hockey/rugby at school and it was fine and I used to do tae kwon do with some harsh warm up runs for like 4 years and again it was fine then too and ive been aware I had them since I was like 4 anyway.

Seriously good replys though I love this website

6. How long have you been using these shoes? You say they are designed for support and balance but you also have fallen arches so perhaps the structure and the support of the shoes is not suitable for your foot, or perhaps the muscles are just getting used to the new positioning with these fancy shoes.
    But really, STRETCH!
    A bit of downward facing dog will sort you out... Honest.

7. The shoes where new I only bought them yesterday hoping for a miracle cure due to my feet, I dont think there causing the problems because they where so comfortable and I felt like I could run a marathon in them they didnt feel natural to walk in I just wanted to run lol.

The shoes I was wearing before where just normal casual trainers so not designed for running in really.

Ill try the stretching tommorrow and write back let you know if it helps, tell you what if it does I owe you one bigtime seems so obvious really but my mind is focused on just loosing my weight so my app can go through got a stone to loose.

Thanks again!

8. Shoes are like relationships; you've got to wear them in for a while but once they fit properly you're set for life.
    You've got time, take it easy, you won't see an immediate result or an instant cure with any of this. If your muscles have been tight for a long time then you'll have to work on it. You should plan your training in months rather than days.
    Good luck.
    It's not a race.
    It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    All things come to those who stretch.

9. Quite a lot of them break after a while, especially under heavy stress...
    They can be bloody expensive...
    They're often improved when tied up /images/smilies/icon_wink.gif
    They can be practical and durable or flimsy and unsuitable for harsh conditions.
    You can have more than one on the go, but not at the same time.

10. You get what you pay for...
    The sensible ones are better for you..
    You can catch diseases from them...
    They don't make 'em like they used to...

11. Simples...

Your right, it's not because your tired or because your out of breath, indeed it does seem calve pain. Im a genius (see my bold).

He's a good suggestion, do yourself a favour get off that dreadmill and get outside. With a good pair of running trainers you will be fine, just don't do too much too soon.