Calm down dear, Im just a ****

Michael winner: BBC

Winner shuns 'toilet-cleaner OBE'

Michael Winner campaigned for a memorial to police officers

Film director Michael Winner has said he turned down an OBE in the Queen's 80th birthday honours' list.

He told the Sunday Times newspaper, for which he is a columnist: "An OBE is what you get if you clean the toilets well at King's Cross station."

Mr Winner was offered the honour because of his campaign for a permanent memorial to police officers killed in the line of duty, the paper says.

But he told the Sunday Times: "I really don't care if I get anything or not."

Mr Winner, 70, added: "I'm very glad that they recognise my considerable skills as a toilet cleaner.

"But when you look at the rubbish who are getting these awards and the absolute non-service they have given to the nation other than financing or working for political parties, you say, 'What company am I in?'

"At least if you go straight to the House of Lords you can wear fancy dress and have a giggle."

Last year Mr Winner joined the Queen and the prime minister to unveil the National Police Memorial, which commemorates the 1,600 officers killed in the line of duty since the 17th Century.

But he told the Sunday Times: "I didn't say when I met the Queen, 'Did you bring your sword dear?'"
What a ****....

I dislike the bloke intensely, but agree with his thoughts on the handing out of "honours".

I don't know, it sounds like he's on to something there Crabby. I can't recall what what the England cricket team were awarded, but to be fair, it was only a game of cricket, I would've thought the ashes was award enough. Or Kelly Holmes being made a Dame.

crabby said:
But he told the Sunday Times: "I really don't care if I get anything or not."
R-i-g-h-t... :roll:

crabby said:
"At least if you go straight to the House of Lords you can wear fancy dress and have a giggle."
The man has ideas above his station, but I s'pose he has a point, when you consider that David Puttnam and 'Dickie' Attenborough were elevated to the Lords.

He's a pompous arrse but he's a pompous arrse with some good points.

^ I agree.

He's selectively quoted, I notice and his central point about the idiocy of the modern honours system is well-made.

Mind you, the dinner ladies and whatnot who get OBEs deserve them more than the x-list "celebrities" who tend to get honours nowadays.

Met him once when, IIRC Jane Seymour? Drove his Mercedes convertible into the back of my Saab in Chelsea back in 1988. It wasn't only a commercial then I can assure you, he went off on one at her. To be fair he paid up no problems and was very polite and courteous to me, more concerned that my friends and I were ok, which is more than can be said for the Merc.

Vegetius said:
...his central point about the idiocy of the modern honours system is well-made.
What's wrong with it? I dropped a suitcase full of used twenties at New Labour HQ and I'm now Dame DozyBint - works perfectly well as far as I'm concerned! :D

He is a cnut of the highest order but I do agree with his points. These honours are being bandied about and when having known some recipients of mbe's, I do ask myself, what did they actually do to DESERVE them??

Oh, Lt Cdr Jones RN-HM Forces gay rights campaigner. Of course you deserved yours.....

If he'd quoted similar reasons to Benjamin Zefaniah for declining, then I'd sympathise. But it seems he has an overblown opinion of his own elevated status. And given that he's made a mess of a few posh polished porcelains in his time, following celebrity lunches and banquets, a very low opinion on the importance of clean toilets.

I'd like to shove his face down a toilet recently splattered with his own putrid filth, and hold it there until he accepts his OBE. He deserves it and it deserves him.

Smoke a bit of dope dear and have a Mars Bar. It worked for Mick Jagger. :lol:

Fair play to him, you might not fancy a pint and a game of darts with him but his observations of the honours system aren't far off

frenchperson said:
If he'd quoted similar reasons to Benjamin Zefaniah for declining, then I'd sympathise.
Who?

INHO, for what its worth, his points are entirly vallied. Gongs get handed out left right and center to "celebraties" who are just doing their job

The thing is though, toilet cleaners et al who do their thankless jobs day in, day out for 50 years without thanks or a decent wage and who never ask for either of them are those who should be honoured.

Ok, so toilet cleaner's aren't the usual people, but carers, charity workers etc, or even people who do their jobs and live their lives above and beyond the call of duty are what the honours system are there to celebrate.

Rather them than some pompous, egotistical, self-publicising celebrity with all of the societal contribution and artistic merit of a packet of shit-flavoured quavers, or the England cricket team.

Well done Winner. I totally agree with you..

drain_sniffer said:
frenchperson said:
If he'd quoted similar reasons to Benjamin Zefaniah for declining, then I'd sympathise.
Who?

INHO, for what its worth, his points are entirly vallied. Gongs get handed out left right and center to "celebraties" who are just doing their job
poet who likes to claim he's repreessed/oppressed/pressed in someway or anohter by the "establishment" despite the fact he's regualrly in the media nad goes to their swanky parties, and has been offered an OBE.
"Ooh, stop, these awards and publicity are really oppressing me. Ow, get off" :twisted:

He has valid points, but I think he's piffed off that he didn't get a knighthood. Now that the BEM has disappeared, OBE is one up from the bottom, a LCpl of honours; he considers himself a SNCO at least.

However wait and see what gets flashed around if England do well in the forthcoming Association Football tournament. Interesting point to note is that the only Sydney Olympics Gold medal winner NOT to be awarded a medal is the shootist, all the others got something.

The whole system is corrupt and should be sacked, Jon Snow did a very good documentary on C4 a few years back looking at the whole system. He made it because he was turning down a CBE at the time.

He makes some interesting points. But if he was sincere he would have declined and kept his yap shut. As it is, the public get to know he COULD have been made OBE but chose to decline. As for Kelly Holmes, don't go there.

lazystudent said:
drain_sniffer said:
frenchperson said:
Who?

poet who likes to claim he's repreessed/oppressed/pressed in someway or anohter by the "establishment" despite the fact he's regualrly in the media nad goes to their swanky parties, and has been offered an OBE.
"Ooh, stop, these awards and publicity are really oppressing me. Ow, get off" :twisted:
He said his ancestors went through slavery, which is related to the B.E. bit of O.B.E. - so I reckon he has a valid reason for refusing the award, given that Britain thrived and grew rich in part through slavery. It would have been a bit compromising to say the least, flaunting a medal that has its origins in the widespread perpetration of atrocities both at home and abroad. He's also searching for answers on why his cousin died in police custody in 2003, incidentally.

Winner, by comparison, is peeved because he obviously merits a knighthood at the very least.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Current Affairs, News and Analysis 58
target_stop Sports, Adventure Training and Events 0
23GN00 The NAAFI Bar 16